Fifty-Five - Breaking

You're lost.

You don't know what you want.

*

The day Shigaraki had planned would have brought theatrics to the base already - add in the surprise break in and the base was utter chaos. Patrols were increased and guards were stationed at every entrance. Any spare hands were requested to be on standby, set up along the halls to be called on at a moment's notice

Two such examples were Yogi and Yori, twin brothers standing in an empty room. They were stationed off-site from where Bakugo's break-in had occurred at a location that would become part of Shigaraki's show later that day.

Yogi was the calmer of the pair; the strategist while Yori was nervous, twitchy, but a great executioner of Yogi's plans. They stood about two metres apart with a full view of the room they were stationed in. They were the last line of defence before the building's stairwell.

The room wasn't much to look at, only a door directly across them for the stairwell and a door on each of the side walls that led to hallways. The floors were fairly dirtied concrete from the movement that normally happened in day-to-day.

Yogi was leant back against the wall, bored eyes drooping occasionally as he stared at the blank wall in front of them. He kept an earphone in his right ear to keep him somewhat entertained.

Yori, on the other hand was fidgeting. His hands twirling together rhythmically as his eyes darted between the left door, the middle door, the right door and back to the middle before he repeated the pattern. He couldn't let anything slip past him, and he knew he had to be more alert because his brother probably wasn't paying attention.

His eyes were about to dart back to the door on the left when he heard something. A pattern of taps or knocks so distant and so deep it almost sounded like a hum or vibration. His head snapped to his left as he strained to hear.

"You hear that?" Yori blurted to his brother, his hands wringing nervously.

"Hmm?" Yogi turned to Yori with droopy eyes.

"Did you hear that?" Yori asked, pointing to his left ear.

Yogi pulled his earphone out, straining his right side to the wall and trying to hear any noise.

"Hear what?" Yogi asked with a shrug.

"That noise."

"There's no noise." Yogi rolled his eyes and returned his earphone.

Yori rubbed his eyes and turned back to the blank wall. The soft vibration of a knock retuned, this time distinct enough for him to hear four counts before he drew his brother's attention to it.

"There it is again!"

Yogi sighed and popped his earphone out, turning to Yori again to try and hear but there was nothing.

"You're imagining things, Yori." Yogi sighed.

Yori gulped. His brother was probably right, he was always right. He was probably just nervous about everything that had happened that day.

Clang clang clang

"You really don't hear that?" Yori asked again.

"Oh my god, Yori!" Yogi slapped his hands to his forehead. "If there is any noise; I'm not going to hear it if you don't shut up! I don't know what I'm supposed to be listening out for."

"There's no other noises-" Yori began.

"There's no noise AT ALL!" Yogi snapped at his brother. "Be quiet and stare at the damn wall."