Thirty-Eight - After They Dance 🍋

I- I really like you.

*

Ren's dorm room door creaked slightly as it swung open in front of her and Bakugo. They both remained frozen for a moment, exchanging a brief glance before she nodded for him to follow, stepping in while he tailed closely behind her. Ren threw her coat and bag over the back of her chair and dumped the heels she'd been wearing on the floor next to her desk while Bakugo shut the door and locked it with a soft click.

His eyes immediately snapped to the floor, keeping his gaze trained to the woven rug in the middle of her dorm room, hands in pockets, wondering why the hell he felt so damn nervous. He'd been in Ren's room before, plenty of times, but it felt like this was the first time he was seeing this private part of her life.

"I-" Ren cleared her throat of the words catching on one another. "So, I think we should probably talk."

Bakugo's breath hitched as he turned his gaze up to her and he had to clear his throat too. "Uh, yeah. You're- You're probably right."

"I feel like I've played it over in my head, the things I'd want to say... But now that you're here I'm not really sure where to start." Ren mumbled as she rubbed her hands over her chilled shoulders.

"Ah, y-yeah. Me too." He stammered.

"I guess... Maybe... Um-"

"You look really beautiful, by the way." Bakugo rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly as a flush spread across his cheeks and nose. "I- I just wanted to tell you that."

Ren's voice hitched in her throat again and she felt the tears from earlier that night trying to escape her again. 'Why do I feel like crying, dammit?!' She shifted on her feet awkwardly, rubbing her hands over her arms again and looking away to hide her red cheeks. 'And why am I so nervous all of a sudden?!'

"Are you cold?" Bakugo asked as he took a short step forward.

"I'll be fine." She shook her head softly. "Just, a bit chilly from overexerting myself... A side effect of the wind quirk too." She gave him an awkward lopsided smile. "The heater'll kick in any moment, I'll be fine."

"You said that twice." Bakugo quirked a brow at her.

"I can just... Use the heat from my own quirk if I really wanted to."

"You don't always have to be so brave, Ren." He held his hands up to her shoulders and she instantly felt warmth radiating from his palms. Ren almost sank into her knees as the mere proximity to his warmth hit her chilled skin. She didn't want to fall against his chest and let him wrap his arms over her because she knew as soon as they made contact, any prospects of having a mature conversation would probably fall out the window.

But she did it anyway.

Her eyes fluttered closed as his intoxicating caramel scent filled her nose. She sighed, letting herself drop against his body a little deeper as Bakugo ran his heated hands up her cold arms to her shoulders and across her bare back. She hummed softly as his touch trailed down her spine, warming her and giving her ticklish chills at the same time.

"That damned loudmouth hero." Bakugo muttered as he rested his chin on her head. "You know how much I hate not getting what I want."

Ren tilted her head up from his chest and gazed up at his deep crimson eyes. "What do you mea-?" Her words were cut off when Bakugo's lips crashed against her own.

Oh, that's what you meant.

Her widened eyes fluttered closed as she sunk into the sudden kiss, letting her lips dance with his. Bakugo's hands grew warmer against her exposed back, his nails gently pressing into her skin and making her shiver from the tickle. Ren gripped onto his shirt to pull him closer and hummed when he nibbled at her bottom lip.