Forty-One - Quirky Adventures 🍋

been a while since we had (mostly) plotless smut.

*

You just stared at her like she's a piece of meat, and I know how you feel about meat.

*

Ren stepped into the lobby of the Endeavour Agency headquarters just as the sun began to tuck beneath the horizon. Todoroki had recently returned from a patrol and asked if she'd be okay to wait downstairs for him while he changed and signed off for the day.

Golden light bounced along the polished marble floors while sidekicks and support staff filtered in and out of the glass doors and elevators, huffing sighs as they entered the warm lobby or bracing themselves for the cold that waited outside.

Ren glanced at the time on her phone, it had been an hour since Akihiro administered the antiserum and she hadn't felt anything. He mentioned she could feel a variety of things; a rush of power, she may start floating, her normal steps could increase to light speed, or she could end up feeling nothing at all. Helpful.

One of the elevator bells dinged for the sixth or seventh time since she'd been waiting but this time Todoroki exited. His body seized up as he joined Ren, giving her a half-scowl-half-quizzical stare before he rubbed his nose.

"W-what?" Ren queried. She looked around her at her appearance, her bag, her shoes, her uniform. What was he looking at? "What's with that look?"

"N-nothing." Todoroki scooted his scarf up to his nose and his expression relaxed.

"Do I smell bad or something?!" Ren's eyes widened and she sniffed her blazer sleeves.

"No!" He shook his head gently. "Don't mind me, you just reminded me of something." He said plainly.

"Riiiight." She quirked a brow, not believing his excuse at all and sniffing at her sleeve again once they'd started walking and his eyes were focused on what was ahead. "How was your afternoon?"

"Fine. Mostly uneventful patrol."

"Mostly uneventful?" Ren urged him to spill the beans further.

"We did have to pursue a low-level villain and Hide was able to stop them fairly quickly." He explained while he readjusted his scarf over his nose as they exited the building into the cold late afternoon air.

"Oooh. Exciting." Ren said with a little smile. It was a forced smile, she wished that was her in pursuit with Hide. As they continued down the sidewalk Ren noticed that most people they walked past would pause and glance back at her, and once they were a few metres away they'd shake their heads as if their minds were coming back to them.

"What torture were you put through this time?" He asked as they paused at the lights. Todoroki's words passed through one ear and straight out the other as Ren glanced around at the people checking her out strangely. "Ren?" He brought her back to reality with a gentle tug on her sleeve as he crossed with the rest of the foot traffic.

"O-oh right!" She snapped her attention back to the task ahead; crossing the street without slipping or dying. "U-um... First round of quirk tests, I guess."

"Oh." He mumbled as he readjusted his scarf. "That sucks."

"Yeah. You're tellin' me."

The rest of the short walk to the station was quiet, dotted with small talk here and there but it was fairly difficult to hold a conversation amidst the bustling early evening traffic and billowing chilly wind. Once they arrived at the station, they both checked their phones for the time and any messages to pass the silence between them. Their friendship was slowly returning to what it once was, slowly and awkwardly.