Forty - Back to the Lab Again

Well, that's the thing... You can't handle it... Not anymore.

*

"What does that do?"

"That separates red blood cells from white blood cells."

"And that?"

"That? That's a microscope."

"Oh. And what's that-"

"Tobi, don't you have anything better to do other than irritate me?"

"Come on, pops!" Tobi dug his hands into his father's shoulders and rocked him back and forth on his stool slightly. "It's been so long since we've spent some quality time together as father and son."

Sana Arakawa, villainously referred to as The Doctor, rolled his eyes and his shook his head as he tried to continue his work.

"Just show me what you're doin', huh?" Tobi pulled up a stool, the dark metal scrapping harshly against the linoleum floors, making his father's eye twitch more than it already was. He propped the takeaway cup of soda he was slurping on on the edge of the table before he leaned in next to his father eagerly.

"Fine." Sana sighed. "Right now I'm separating each element from Shigaraki's serum and testing them against my own. Because my final serum has a long-term mutating effect, we need to know if building the anti-quirk serum on the same skeleton will cause mutations."

Tobi nodded slowly as he took in the information.

"Did you understand?" His father asked.

"For the most part."

"Looks like you've got a new lab assistant." A raspy voice made them glance up from Sana's experiments. They were met by Tomura Shigaraki as he scratched the side of his neck restlessly. "How is my product coming along?"

"I'm still in the testing phase." Sana said blankly.

"You've been in the testing phase for two months now. And I expected the testing phase to be testing multiples of my product." Shigaraki scratched at his neck more violently as he stretched his other arm around, gesturing at the mess of lab equipment around him.

"Listen, Tomura..." Sana slowly stepped up from his metal stool, making his various vials and beakers clink on the rickety makeshift lab table. "There's a reason why you hired me specifically... So if you want to achieve my level of quality product, let me do my job my way."

The two two men eyed each other. Shigaraki paused halfway through a scratch on his reddened neck as his eyes narrowed at Sana.

"I'm not the kind of person who likes to be kept waiting." Shigaraki slowly resumed digging his nails into his neck.

"Are you threatening me, Tomura?" Sana's eyes narrowed too.

"Please, you'd know if I was threatening you..."

Tobi glanced between the two of them, grabbing his soda and slurping on the remnants until the liquid made loud popping noises in the straw.

"You've got three weeks. If I don't see a case full of that serum, you'll know what it's like to be threatened by me." Shigaraki turned on his heel, smirking to himself triumphantly as he left the dim and cluttered pop-up laboratory.

"Well..." Tobi chimed as soon as the metal door had been clanked shut. "That coulda gone a whole lot better." He plopped his empty cup onto the table and got up from his metal chair.

"On the contrary." Sana quirked a brow and smirked to himself too. "That went exactly as I was hoping it would."

Shigaraki traversed the wide and empty decrepit halls, passing by rubble he'd kick unenthusiastically or empty glass bottles he'd bump out of the way until he reached the main room of the warehouse the League were using as a hideout.