Fifty-Two - The Arakawa Family

Don't you understand, Chinami-Ren?

It was all for you. It was always for you.

*

Dabi's long fingers tapped against the back of his battered old playing cards rhythmically. He glanced at Ren from behind his hand, trying to read any movements in her face but she stared back at him blankly, tapping her cards against her chin as she waited for his next move. He scanned his cards, a three, a four and three Kings.

"Do you have..." His tapping on the cards sped up and lost rhythm before he stopped tapping altogether. "Any fours?"

"Dammit." Ren slid three cards from her hand and irritably handed them to Dabi. "Been silently working on that pack."

Dabi chuckled triumphantly as he took the cards from her, adding them to his own and propping the pile of fours next to his other complete decks.
Ren poked her tongue out, he was now in the lead by two. They sat across from each other on his bed with legs crossed and battered piles of cards strewn in front of them.

"Do you have any tens?" Ren asked as she rearranged her hand.

"Go fish."

Ren sighed as she slid a card from the deck, adding it to her hand and clicking her tongue as her eyes scanned the cards. The new addition was a King and she knew he either had some or all of the remaining cards.

"Any..." He clicked his tongue. "Threes?"

Ren shook her head and he clicked his tongue as he took a card from the deck.

"Would you happen to have any Kings?"

Dabi groaned, his head falling back as he handed three cards over to Ren.

"Sweet, sweet revenge." Ren chirped as she packaged the cards together and placed them amongst her card piles.

A knock at the door had them both turn to see Toga come in.

"Oh. Here you are!" She said to Ren as she bounced towards Dabi's bed. "I was gonna ask Dabi if he'd seen you but here you are!"

"Here I am." Ren said plainly as she turned her attention back to her card deck. "What d'you want?"

"Tomura wants to see you."

"Kay." Ren said unenthusiastically. "It's your turn."

"Ren." Toga's tone turned serious. "You may wanna go. Like, now."

Ren glanced at Dabi before she turned to Toga. She sighed, sliding off of the bed and dropping her cards in the spot she'd been sitting.

"You should come too." Toga nodded to Dabi who dropped his cards with a groan as he clambered off of the bed too.

Toga led them upwards to a section of the mansion Ren hadn't been to since she first arrived. They stepped into the living room where Ren's brother had stabbed her, her blood still staining the carpet where she'd collapsed and where she'd stepped with her bloodied feet.

Shigaraki sat on the couch, elbows resting in his knees while he awaited their arrival. Tobi sat in one of the armchairs across from the couch, flicking a pattern of rotating water drops in front of him.

"What?" Ren asked as Toga closed the door behind them.

"It's been months. We've searched the entire country and our connections in other nations have come up with nothing. We can't find your father, fucking anywhere."

Tobi snorted and Ren smirked. She tugged at the tassels of her hoodie as she slowly circled the room, eyes on Shigaraki, until she came to the other armchair.