Fifty-Four - Breaking In

She'd met plenty of league members with red eyes, she just wasn't expecting to see ones so -

familiar.

*

Isie Kataoka hadn't been part of the League of Villains for long, a mere four months, but in that time he'd moved through the ranks and into the patrol rotation. One of his patrols, partnered with another League member, ran along the perimeter and surrounding blocks of the warehouse location, another ran through the weaponry supplies and his final patrol was through the holding cells.

Like all Sundays since starting this routine, he had a late morning start that began with the outside patrol for a few hours before ending his shift through the holding cells. He had a quick bite; two slices of buttered toast and a cup of black coffee, and a half-assed shower. His red eyes were more red from the little sleep he'd had the night before so he dropped in some eye drops before pulling his outfit on. A pair of dark cargo pants, a mildly torn up black sweater, a sun-faded beanie and a dark mask that concealed most of his face.

Isie adjusted the mask over his nose as he dropped down the fire escape of his building. He'd been avoiding his landlord for a few days now. It's not like he couldn't easily afford the rent of the minuscule apartment, he just didn't want to have to pay it.

In the time they'd been on patrol together, Isei and his partner, Madoka had formed something of a friendship. They didn't talk much about anything important but they understood one another, able to gauge each other's mood by a glance or inflection of tone. That was the perfect friendship for Isei. No real attachment, no real affection, just enough company to make the day go by.

After dropping by the staff lockers, Isie gave Madoka a nod as he arrived at their meetup spot outside of warehouse C. Madoka quirked a brow in return as he took a deep drag to end his cigarette, muttering a smokey "morning" before shooting out the cloud in a long greyish stream.

They walked the length of warehouse C's high fences, turning the corner to march between warehouse A and B on their left and C and D on their right.

"What letter were you up to last night?" Isie asked after a sheepish yawn.

"Uh... M. Ma- Mar-" Madoka scratched his head. "Fuck, what was her name? Mayuko."

"Mayuko." Isie repeated. "How was it?"

"Ehh," Madoka shrugged. "She was fine. She had cold toes and it was throwing me off. I think G was still my favourite."

"Even though you don't remember her name?"

"The name doesn't matter." He waved his hand lazily. "It's ticking the alphabetical box that does."

"I'm guessing you've already got N lined up then?"

"N, P and Q. At this rate I'll be done by the end of the year."

Isie chuckled, shaking his head as they continued past the warehouses and down the street. Their radius ran three blocks on either side of the warehouses, just to where the city teetered into the industrial area. The plot blended in well with the surrounding pharmaceutical warehouses and small industrial park offices. The streets were usually pretty empty of people, only cars and trucks flying past on the road. All-in-all it was an easy job, just lots of walking.

"Wonder what I'll get for lunch..." Madoka muttered as they reached the end of their route. The edge of the city hosted a collection of small cafes, fast food joints and convenience stores scattered between the buildings. People were more common to find here than a block back.

"Keep thinking about." Isie scanned the street around them. "Keep watch, I'm gonna take a piss."

"Ah."