Twenty-Three - Offer

But the one place he wanted to work above all - because it was the best - didn't want him... And instead it wanted someone who'd walked into the hero world only a few months ago with falsified talent-

*

Early October was such a lull compared to the month they'd had before. The only thing really keeping the students going was the upcoming school festival and dance in December, and that more of them had taken up work studies upon their return from Okinawa. Deku was still at Sir Knighteye's old agency, Kirishima with Fat Gum, Tsu and Uraraka with Ryukyu. Kaminari and Jiro had been accepted by Present Mic's agency, Iida was occasionally popping in and out of his family's agency and Bakugo had the privilege of choosing from any agency in the country. Well, all except one much to his deep disappointment.

There was one agency that hadn't sent an offer to any heroes in training aside from two on the sly, and that agency was the Endeavour agency. Kirishima had told Bakugo to cheer up, that he could join him on his work study or at least work with Hawks, the number two hero. But Bakugo only wanted the best... And so the news that arrived on that fateful Tuesday afternoon was going to both irritate and confuse him intently.

As usual for a Tuesday, the day wrapped up with English class with Present Mic. He finished the lesson with some kind of bad English pun that only a few them who could speak the language well enough half chuckled to. Ren packed her goods into her satchel backpack while chatting with Uraraka. She watched as Bakugo and Kirishima sauntered out of the class together, an endless flow of words coming from Kirishima while Bakugo kept his eyes forward and his hands in his pockets.

Todoroki and Deku joined the two girls out of the classroom, joining in on their conversation about plans to go dress shopping for the dance. The little group stopped when they heard Aizawa coming down the hall and calling out to Ren. "Chinami." He glanced between Ren and the others, indicating that their conversation needed to be private.

"Uh, you guys go ahead, I'll catch up." She waved to the group with a little smile. Deku and Uraraka nodded before heading down the hall. Todoroki's gaze lingered between Ren and Aizawa, almost as if he knew what was going on. He turned after a couple of awkward seconds and caught up to the bubbly brunette and awkward broccoli.

Aizawa held out a neatly pressed envelop with gold pressed writing and a deep red wax seal. "This just came in. Your house arrests been lifted." He explained as Ren took the beyond perfect envelop from his gangly fingers. Ren eyed the envelop carefully, already knowing what was noted within it. "It's not the only one that did, countless agencies are interested in working with you, including Hawks, but I know this was your first pick." He sighed and rubbed his head while Ren picked at the wax seal. "And you know my offer still stands."

Ren glanced up at Aizawa's dark, deep-set, tired eyes. "I know." She swallowed a dry gulp and slipped the beautiful envelope into her blazer pocket. "But I need to learn how to control it with practice, so I can use it. I can't just keep... Cancelling it out." She shook her head slowly. "But thank you, sir." Aizawa nodded once, the trace of a small smile spreading over his thin lips.

"Get outta here." He barely gestured his head down the hall. Shoving his hands in his pockets, burying himself deeper into his scarf and slouching over, Aizawa left in the opposite direction to her.

*

Ren skipped convening in the common area with the others to go over the homework and instead headed straight for her room. She slammed her door shut, quickly locked it and dropped her school bag onto her desk before pulling the impeccable envelop from the sleeve she'd slid it into. Ren placed it upon her desk neatly, ensuring it was centre on the wood, and stepped back until the back of her socked legs hit the edge of her bed. She knew the contents of the letter before needing to open it and devour every word inked into the paper, and yet she felt scared to open the envelop.