Nineteen - Attack on the Sand

Interesting... Well, we wanted to see what she could do, and now we know. She'll be a good addition to the collection... Or better yet... A valuable asset to our team.

*

Ren and Uraraka left the house that Sunday for a mid-morning stroll. The plan was to soak up the sun and waves before an early lunch and then some sightseeing and market shopping with the other girls. But most importantly, they needed some time to talk.

"So, what did you wanna ask me?" Ren asked Uraraka after their small talk came to a close.

Uraraka paused grumbled a little in thought. She tapped her foot on the weathered wood of the boardwalk that ran along the beach and squeezed her eyes together, building up the confidence to ask her friend such a simple question. "What's going on with you and Bakugo?"

"I thought that might've been what's on your mind." Ren sighed and looked out at the ocean. Gulls and other seabirds squawked and chirped up ahead, waves crashed lazily against the warm sandy beaches and laughter from all around travelled with the wind. "We kinda... Just started dating."

Uraraka's jaw dropped. "WHAT?!" What did she just say?! Her eyes almost popped out of her head. "WHEN?! HOW?!"

"You can't tell anyone!" Ren pulled Uraraka's jaw back up and covered her mouth, placing her other hand on her shoulder to calm her. "It's not that crazy."

"No offence Ren but ... HOW?! And like, not even just logistically like, HOW?! It's Bakugo!" Uraraka rubbed her temples. "Mean, explosive, rude, ANGER-Y Bakugo!"

Ren shrugged. "He's... Not really like that... Not with me." She smiled softly. If anything the tough guy attitude is just an act. He's scared of oversized fish.

"How did it even happen?" Uraraka shook her head in bewilderment.

Ren thought for a moment. She had to tell her everything, if she could thought of Ochaco as her best friend, she couldn't keep secrets anymore. "Remember after the Sports Festival, he was really mean to me?" Uraraka nodded. "Well... He was kinda angry that he couldn't stop thinking about me..."

And so Ren told her everything. Everything from their first night together to sneaking around Heights Alliance for moments of passion, their late night laundry room talks, the time she met Granny B, how she confided in Bakugo and how much relief she felt when she hugged him the day she got to Okinawa, the gift he got her for her birthday that finally led to their date yesterday. It took a while to explain everything that had happened. Ren finally finished monologuing when they'd already finished their lunch at a little beachside cafe.

"Wow." Uraraka sighed as Ren wrapped up her tale.

"Yeah." She mumbled.

"Wow." Uraraka repeated.

"You said that already..."

"And for so long I thought you had feelings for Todoroki..." Uraraka sighed. "I can't believe I was so off about that."

Ren wiggled her lips in thought. "Hm." She looked up as she chose her words. "I... Saw a piece of myself in Todoroki, and I think he saw himself in me too. I don't know how he feels but I know how I feel."

"So, are you in love with Bakugo?" Uraraka asked suddenly.

Ren's voice caught in her throat. Was she?

"I-"

"There you are!" They heard Ashido's high-pitched ecstatic tone bounce along the boardwalk and into their cafe. Ashido, Hagakure, Jiro, Yaoyorozu and Tsu hurried towards their table. "I was just arguing with Toto that we were meeting you guys out here but she thought we were all meeting outside the house." Ashido pointed to Hagakure and chuckled. "I told ya, Toto!"