Thirty-Six - Before They Dance

Don't do it, Kacchan...

... I'm gonna do it.

*

"Aaaaaah-! I don't get him, Kirishima!" Ren groaned as she slumped over onto the kitchen counter. "One minute he's brushing me off, calling me a slut and the next minute he's putting himself on the line for me."

"Wait, he actually called you that?" Kirishima frowned at Ren while he filled his water bottle up.

"Yeah. He did. That night I went to Todoroki's..." She sighed. "You know how I told you Bakugo was really jealous of him and I tried to pry it out of him that I wanted some kind of commitment to our relationship and that's why we like, kinda broke up?"

Kirishima wracked his brain as he thought back to the conversation he and Ren had had the morning after she'd beaten Bakugo blue. "...Yeah?"

"Well, turns out his suspicions about Todoroki were right, and that's my bad for being so naive about it, so I tried to patch things up with him. I didn't even get a word out before he hit me with a slew of insults. Asking if Todoroki's dick hadn't satisfied me enough and that he had to warn Ochaco that I'd try fuck Midoriya next." Ren felt her throat run dry as both tears and yells of anger tried to escape her body. She had to press her hands against her forehead to suppress the need to cry and scream at the same time.

"That's not very manly of him." Kirishima pinched his chin between his thumb and forefinger as he thought to himself. Would he really say something like that? Bakugo's not that kinda guy... Sure, he's a dickhead but he wouldn't say that to a girl. Especially not the one he lo-

"Bakugo is... A complex guy." He said after a moment.

"You're telling me." Ren rolled her eyes and stood back up straight.

"The question is Ren, given everything he's said and done, what do you want from him?" Kirishima asked.

"You know what I want." She folded her arms over her chest sadly. "Do you respect me less for that? You know, given what he did say?"

A small smile spread over his lips and he shook his head. "I think you've both been pretty shitty towards one another. And any idiot can see it's cause you're both hurt."

"I've tried to make the first move but- Well, we see where that went." Ren mumbled. "Maybe I've just gotta move on, ya know? I made a deal with myself after that night we "broke up" that I wouldn't let this stuff get in my way anymore. And you heard Aizawa yesterday, I've dropped from 1st in the class to 4th this term all because of the stupid boy drama. Urgh!" She flopped onto the counter again. "I wish he'd apologise for saying that to me at least but the jackass is too damn proud."

"Don't you think the trial, your work study and being comatose for a few days twice may have had an impact on that?" Kirishima asked like he was trying to remind her and reassure her that it wasn't all totally her fault.

"No." Ren said blankly. "Boy drama is always to blame." Kirishima pouted at his failed attempt to cheer her up as Ren sighed. "I appreciate you trying to crack the code of your dumbass best friend's mind with me, Kiri, but I gotta go." She slid back up and gathered a few of her things that she'd had sat on the bench behind them. "Got work study."