Eleven - Recovery

Hey, I don't really remember what happened last night but I'm so sorry.

*

Ren woke up that morning with a pounding headache. She tried to open her eyes but the light burned them instantly. "Aaaahh!" She yelled out and covered her face, regretting her choice of sheer curtains in that moment. It took a few lengthy blinks to get used to the sun, and even then she had to squint. Ren fiddled about on her side table for her phone. After some missed attempts, she landed on the familiar rectangular shape that was her beloved electronic communicative device. Ren buried herself under her blankets to get away from the light and flicked her phone on. It was 10:37am. "What the fuck?" She croaked.

She had a few messages from Uraraka, Yaoyorozu and Bakugo from the night before, and a couple from Uraraka that morning. Her messages from the night before all read along the same topic; are you okay? Where are you? Hope you feel better, etc.

Her messages from Uraraka that morning read;

Ochaco Uraraka
Heya!
Hope you feel better! Iida tried to get you up but luckily Aizawa stepped in and said it was okay for you to stay in today. If you're feelin up to class, hope to see you there! Otherwise, feel better!! xx

Ren felt teary. How did she get so lucky to have a friend like her? She stared at her messages from Bakugo. The last one said 'I'm worried about you.' It was so simple and yet she felt weighted from it. A memory from the night before flashed into her mind.

Bakugo.

She remembered kissing him, touching him. Then she remembered fear in his eyes. Then blackness. Being carried into her room. Blackness.

Ren typed out and retyped out what she could say to him. Eventually she settled on;

Freckles
Hey, I don't really remember what happened last night but I'm so sorry.

She knew he wouldn't be able to respond till lunchtime so she decided to get up and grab some water. Her body was badly dehydrated, she was freezing and burning up at the same time. It took a long time and a mountain of effort to bring her aching body to the kitchen. She wanted to down four glasses of water but she had to take it slow. She finished a glass over ten minutes and then headed for a shower. The cool water made her feel a million times better. She sat in the shower for about an hour before slapping the tap closed. She dried herself, left her hair to dry naturally, and returned to her room with three fresh bottles of water.

She had a message from Bakugo.

Baka
I'm glad you're okay.
Don't worry about it.

Ren's heart felt heavy. She felt like she destroyed whatever they had and she didn't even know what she did. Ren stared at her surfboard and longed for the simpler times in life. It wasn't long before she drifted off into much needed extra sleep.

Ren awoke around 3, right when everyone else would be getting back to their dorms. She threw on some comfortable clothing and greeted her fellow classmates as they returned home from a long day of lessons. Uraraka leapt into her arms with a big smile. "Reeeen! I missed you today."

"Glad to see you're back on your feet." Shoji said to her.

"Thanks, Shoji." Ren smiled and patted Uraraka's head softly. After a few more class members had passed, Bakugo and Kirishima walked in. Ren stared at him but he wouldn't even look at her. Kirishima waved and she waved back with a saddened smile.

Iida and Yaoyorozu went over the curriculum that she missed that day and gave her a copy of the homework. She caught up quickly and completed her work with Uraraka and Tsu. After they finished working, Sero suggested she try yoga to cleanse her body of any sickness. She didn't take him for a hippy.

Aizawa called her into his quarters just before dinner. To her surprise, Principal Nezu was there too. "How are you feeling?" Aizawa asked her, he lent on his desk while the mouse man sat on Aizawa's desk chair.

"Much better." She mumbled.

"Bakugo came to me early this morning to let me know you were unwell, I didn't know you were friends." Aizawa raised an eyebrow at her.

"We're not- not really. I help him and Kirishima study sometimes for English." She and Bakugo had settled on that story if Aizawa ever asked any of the three of them in the know. "I was supposed to help last night but... Well, you know." Aizawa stared at her for a second.

"They've set a court date, they want to get it moving as soon as possible." Principal Nezu said. "It will be in the third week of September, trial begins on the 14th."

"But that's the first week we're supposed to be in Okinawa?!" Ren panicked and looked between Aizawa and Nezu.

"Unfortunately, as a victim of The Doctor's crimes, you have to put this trial ahead of your studies. However, we have done everything we can to ensure that you will at least be there for the second week." Nezu smiled at her softly. "We believe you will need the break from the media and from the trial."

"Thank you." Ren gripped onto her sweatpants and looked down. First the others could have work studies now they'd all be ahead of her by the time she got to Okinawa.

"One more thing." Aizawa began. "From now until the trial, I need to sign off on anywhere you go outside of school property."

Ren clenched her teeth. 'Hmng.' She furrowed her brow and looked down at her slippers. "I understand. What about my classmates?"

"You can't speak to anyone about it until after the trial." Principal Nezu said. "It won't be long until this is all over, they're predicting a short trial. The evidence is stacked too greatly against him."

Ren nodded. "Okay."

Ren tried to make some sort of contact with Bakugo at dinner but he ignored her again. She wanted to cry. She started telling herself it was time to come to terms with the fact that whatever they had was now over.

After dinner, she flopped onto her bed, face first into her pillow. She groaned into the linen covered softness, feeling the regret of what she couldn't even remember. "I'm never drinking again." She muffled into her pillow.

*

"Bakugo?" Aizawa opened his door to the grumpy teen. His hands were shoved deep into his pockets and he was slightly hunched over. Most of the other class members had already gone to their rooms.

"Hey, Mr Aizawa, can we talk?" Bakugo asked checking behind him. "Alone."

"Of course." Aizawa closed the door behind him. "Let's go for a walk."

*

Late that night, just as she'd began to finally drift off into some form of sleep, Ren's phone buzzed. She slipped it off of her nightstand and scrunched her pillow under her neck. She blinked at the screen a couple of times, her eyes already accustomed to the darkness of the pillow. It was Bakugo.

Baka
Hey
Don't make plans this weekend
Already talked to Aizawa about it
See you tomorrow

Ren stared at the message for a few minutes. "What?" She muttered to herself. She typed and retyped a message back to him. There were a few 'whats wrong' s, 'are you okay' s, 'are we okay' s. Eventually she settled on.

Freckles
Um okay
See you tomorrow I guess