Twenty - Aftermath

Dammit! Why do I feel like crying?!

*

Ren drifted in and out of consciousness multiple times since that day at the beach. She was never awake enough to open her eyes or move, just enough to catch parts of sentences here and there.

"... Has she stirred yet?..." That sounded like it could've been Jiro.

"... Wouldn't you like to go out for a shift?..." And that was certainly Iida.

"... I brought you some food..." Kirishima or maybe Kaminari.

"... What are you doing here, Icy-hot?..." Bakugo, clearly.

"... You're not the only one who cares..." Was that... Todoroki?

"... Let me take over for a while, you get some rest..." Uraraka...

"... Just... Just for a few minutes..." Bakugo, again.

She could recognise some of the voices in her half-conscious stupor but mostly the sounds around her blended together into mush. The last few times she stirred, she could open her eyes a little but each time it was dark so she would just go back to sleep.

Ren finally opened her eyes early in what she assumed to be the morning after it had all happened. She blinked a few times as she got used to the soft light coming into her room. Bakugo was leaning against her wardrobe with his eyes shut and arms crossed. A tea stained mug was knocked over beside his right leg. He crinkled his nose a few times in his sleep.

She moved her arm up to rub her eyes but something prodding into the inner crease of her right arm caused her to freeze. Ren's eyes trailed down slowly to the catheter impaled in her skin. "Ha-ha-AAAH!" She yelled out.

Bakugo snapped awake and jumped up to her. "What?! What's wrong?!" He yelled out.

"Get it out! Get it out!" She screamed yanking at her wrist. "He's got me! He's got me again! The serum!"

Bakugo grabbed her shoulders. "Ren! Ren it's okay!"

"Just get it out!" Tears streamed down her cheeks.

Bakugo held her bicep firmly and yanked the catheter out of her arm. He quickly covered the small wound with his other hand and brought her to his chest. "It's okay, it's okay." He said soothingly.

Ren howled against his chest. Her mind hadn't fully woken up or registered where she was. She fiddled her fingers under his hand and pressed onto the little wound in her arm. "What did he do?!" She cried into his chest.

Bakugo held her face his hands, his thumb smeared a small trickle of blood across her cheek. Her tears poured into his hands. "Ren. It's me. He's not here, he can't hurt you. I'm here to protect you." He whispered to her.

Ren bit her lip. Her mind centred and focused on where she was. She was in Okinawa with her class, her friends. They were heroes and yesterday they fought the Nomu. "Katsuki..." She blubbered. "I'm still so scared."

Bakugo felt tears stinging his own eyes. 'Dammit.' He thought to himself as he pulled her back into his chest. 'Why do I feel like crying?!' He wiped his eyes with the back of his hand and sniffed. "You never have to be scared when I'm here. I'll roast anyone who comes near you, I promise."

Ren hiccuped. Her door swung open and Yaoyorozu and Jiro stumbled in. "What happened?" Yaoyorozu asked while rubbing her eyes.

"I heard the noise, it woke me up." Jiro pointed to the jacks coming out of her ears. "How long has she been awake?"