Fifty-One - Normality

I saw Ren.

I didn't say much, I mean, we didn't exactly talk but, she looks mostly fine. Main thing is; she's alive.

*

Kirishima's dorm room door was open when Bakugo sauntered passed carrying his duffel bag and backpack. He dropped his things at his own door before he poked his head into his friends room. They didn't speak much over the summer, only the occasional update in their group chat or invite to something he always turned down.

The redhead was unpacking his stuff from the summer break, nodding his head to music as he moved around the room.

"Hey." Bakugo said with a little nod.

"Hey, me?" Kirishima stopped, pointing to himself before he checked behind him.

"No, I was offering to feed a horse." Bakugo rolled his eyes as he leant on the doorframe.

Kirishima snorted. "Hey."

"Good summer?"

"Yeah, it was alright." Kirishima nodded as he pulled a few shirts from his bag. "Mostly worked, got started on some assignments. My mom wanted me to take a break so we stayed in a coastal town for a couple of days. Can't complain, really. What about you?"

"Yeah, yeah." Bakugo nodded. "The same. I had some mandatory bed rest so I stayed with Granny B for a few days."

"Oh man," Kirishima tucked a few things into his dresser. "I would gain pounds if I stayed with your Gran."

"Looks like you don't need to."

"Hey!" Kirishima slapped his stomach and pointed a pair of pants at Bakugo. "I'll have you know this is pure, cleanly bulked muscle."

Bakugo smirked. "Clean bulked?"

"My dad took up baking this summer; he's shockingly good." Kirishima reached into his bag. "Sent me back with some cookies if you wanna try later."

"Sign me up." Bakugo said with a nod and his friend smiled. He tapped the doorframe awkwardly as he pushed himself off of it. "Anyway, I better go and unpack."

"Yeah." Kirishima cleared his throat. "I'm going to Sero's room in like, an hour. Apparently Kaminari has some crazy new game we just have to try. You down?"

Bakugo nodded once.

"Cool."

*

Classes restarted the next day. Bakugo began the morning a little more tired than he'd intended but at least he'd managed to get mostly uninterrupted sleep. The four of them had holed up in Sero's room well past dinner and bedtime, glued to the screen while they took turns playing Kaminari's new game.

He rubbed his eyes at the breakfast table while he poked at his meal. He was slowly regaining the muscle mass and strength he'd lost over the summer from eating a lot less and being more sedentary than usual, but he was struggling through the last added egg.

"You up for a run on Wednesday morning?" Kirishima asked as he dropped his plate next to Bakugo's. "I know it's been a while but maybe it'd be good for you to get into an old routine."

"Only if you can keep up with me." Bakugo said with an unenthusiastic shrug, to which Kirishima simply smirked.

They were joined by Sero and Kaminari as they walked to class. The two spending the entire journey word-vomiting at Bakugo about everything they had been up to that summer. He'd switched off by the time they arrived at the classroom, thankful he could sit down in air conditioning. The dwindling last hot days made it too tempting for him to use force to quieten his friends.