Fifty-Three - Plans

Why did you bring me out here?

Did you want my approval? My permission?

*

"Now that we're all here," Midoriya said quietly before he swallowed a heavy lump in his throat. "Todoroki?"

Todoroki's mouth formed a flat line. He glanced between each of them, his eyes resting longest on Bakugo, who returned his worried expression with a half snarl.

"I overheard something at my father's agency today that I don't think I was meant to overhear." He glanced between them again as he wrung his hands together tightly.

"Get on with it." Bakugo snapped.

Todoroki gulped.

"It's Ren. She's in trouble."

"Was that before or after she left us?" Ashido asked sarcastically, folding her pink arms across her chest and puffing her cheeks.

"Mina!" Yaoyorozu flicked her arm, making Ashido drop her crossed arms and scowl at her friend.

"Todoroki," Midoriya sighed. "Start at the beginning."

"I left something at my Father's agency during the week, and I went back today to grab it. When I couldn't find it in my locker, I thought maybe my Father had found it and was going to bring it to me. So, I went to his office. I- I suspect no one knew I was there because the door was open and I could hear their voices inside. My Father and Hawks. Panicked. Argumentative." Todoroki paused, running a hand through his hair as he took a deep breath "Ren's father is dead."

Bakugo's jaw clenched, eyes snapping to the grass just in front of his shoes.

"They tracked him down yesterday and found a second part to Ren's serum. And when they offered it to her in exchange for finding and killing her father, she destroyed it."

"I'm guessing they didn't like that?" Kirishima mumbled and Todoroki shook his head.

"Sounds like her brother bought her some time. At least enough for a message from Hawks' League contact to get to him but-"

Todoroki glanced at Bakugo, who's gaze was still fixed on the ground.

"She's got seven days. They have seven days. Ren and her brother will both be killed if he doesn't reproduce and force her to take the second part of the serum. They want her as their weapon."

"Then Ren didn't betray us." Uraraka chimed in. "If she didn't want to take it, if she didn't want to become their weapon, she must have had some ulterior motive."

Todoroki turned to Uraraka, letting out a deep sigh before he spoke. "Yeah. Maybe."

"You guys said she tried to make a deal for her brother's life that day." Ashido cut in. "Maybe that-" Her pink hand shot to her mouth. "Maybe that's all it was..." She muttered beneath her fingers, tears stinging her eyes.

"So, what's the plan? What are they going to do?" Uraraka asked. "Maybe they're gonna arrest her or something, like she'd get into trouble but they'll save Ren, right?"

Todoroki rubbed his chin before he glanced at Midoriya. His friend recognised the call for help in his eyes immediately, making him gulp uncomfortably.

"That's why you called us out here, huh?" Midoriya shivered. "Endeavour doesn't want to do anything."

"No." Todoroki sighed. "As the number one hero and her former employer, and likely one of the only people who knows, it seems like he has the final say."