Twenty-Eight - Self Control 🍋

What, you don't believe people can fall in love that fast?

*

"Try again." Endeavour boomed at Ren as she collapsed from powering up for what felt like the millionth time that day.

"I-Insanity..." Ren panted. "Is doing the same fucking thing over... and over... again and expecting a different fucking result." She crawled up onto her knees and threw her head back as she tried to catch her breath. Her arm had healed well over the last few weeks but her ego certainly hadn't. Endeavour had insisted they focus entirely on her flame related quirk, pushing aside any training on her other quirks. But weeks of the same repetitive work had thrown Ren's motivation out of the skyscraper's window.

"Language." Endeavour muttered, ignoring her plea to try something different.

"Fuck you." Ren spat back as she got to her feet.

"Try. Again." He pushed the words out between his gritted teeth. The flames along his shoulders flickered violently for a second as he tried to control his distaste for how she spoke to him.

Ren built up the heat and rage within her body again, feeling the scorching heat burn her from the inside, sparks erupted around her arms again but she still couldn't take it any further. With a final exasperated yell, she fell to the floor again and the sparks immediately dissipated into nothing. "Goddammit!" She screeched as she punched at the concrete until her knuckles became bloody. "We need to try something else!"

"Are you telling me how to give lessons?" He questioned with a cocky quirked brow.

"Your methods clearly aren't fucking working." She muttered as she rubbed her bloody knuckles.

"I told you to watch your tongue, Chinami." His eyes narrowed at her as she clambered to her feet, still massaging the ripped skin over her swollen knuckles.

"To which I said, fuck you." Ren spat out.

His flames erupted wildly around his shoulders as he stepped toward Ren. "Do you want me to discipline you, child?"

Ren stood firmly and clenched her fists tightly, making the blood on her knuckles spill out a little faster. "Try me. I've seen the results of your work. I'm not that impressed."

Endeavour raised his hand, ready to bitch-slap his insubordinate student when a voice echoed from the doorway of the training room. "I think that's enough of that." They both turned to the source, a blank faced and bored looking Todoroki leant against the doorframe.

"Shoto?" Endeavour queried. "You should be on patrol."

"I've been watching you train ever since you gave Chinami those burns." Todoroki stepped into the room slowly but confidently. He walked with an arrogant swagger he tended to use when he planned to irritate his father. "I'm somewhat impressed you didn't scar someone you were meant to be teaching." He glanced at his father carelessly.

"Why I-"

"I'll take it from here." Todoroki interrupted his father. "Chinami is right, your methods aren't working. If you're too stubborn to try something new then I'll do it for you."

Ren looked between the two Todorokis as she watched their stare down for dominance. If the younger of the two really thought he could help her, she was all ears.