~second choice~

I sat in the common room on a Monday evening after eating dinner and gossiped with all my closest friends. There was me, Draco, Pansy, Theo, Blaise, Daphne, and Greg, just sat talking about the people we think are cute.

I find it kind of pointless to join in considering I have a massive crush on Draco Malfoy. He doesn't know, as I've never had the confidence to tell him. The only person that knows is Pansy. She's the only person I could trust enough to tell.

"Marnie?" I heard Pansy shout, drawing me out of my daydream. "That older Hufflepuff boy that winked at me in the corridor, what did he say his name was? Calvin? No. Kevin?"

"Cedric?" I giggled.

"THAT'S IT!" She shouted with a click of her fingers. "Yeah he's fit. I wouldn't run from him in a dark alley." We all laughed at her, amused.

"Speaking of Hufflepuffs," Blaise chimed in. "That girl that I got put next to in Potions, Hannah, she's something else."

He pretended to pass out with a hand placed on his chest, causing us to chuckle.

"Well that's enough for me tonight, I'm knackered, so I'm gonna head to bed." Theo said as he yawned.

A few others agreed and headed up to their dorms, and many followed minutes later until it was just Draco and I. I looked over at him as he laid on his back on one of the sofas.

"What's wrong with you?" I giggled as I threw a cushion at his head. Unfortunately, he picked it back up and threw it right back.

He smirked as I scowled at him, and he sighed and sat up.

"Something really is up isn't it?" I asked him, my voice soft.

"Can I tell you something?" He asked.

"Of course."

"I can't tell anyone else because they just wouldn't understand me like you do."

I blushed slightly at the comment, and awkwardly pushed my hair behind my ears.

"You know Granger, right?"

"Hermione Granger? Yeah, what about her?"

It was silent for a couple moments before he spoke.

"We kissed."

Ouch.

I didn't say anything. I didn't know what to say. The guy I've liked for so long kissed a girl he always reckons he hates.

"Marnie?" He asked, and I lifted my head up. His eyes were staring into mine, trying to read them for a reaction.

"So you've kissed a girl? Barely a big deal?" I scoffed. I had to laugh at the situation otherwise I might just break down.

"Well that's the thing. I...um..." He paused for a second to clear his throat. "I think I like her."

Now I've heard it all.

"Like, like like her. Shit I wanna be with her Marns." He chuckled to himself, though I was far from laughing.

It was like he'd taken a knife, stabbed my heart, and then twisted it; creating a deep, soaring pain inside of my chest.

My mouth was slightly agape and I looked at the floor in a daze as I thought of all the times we'd spent together. I was so naive to think there was more to us than friendship. So stupid.

"Marnie? What do you think?"

I cleared my throat and masked some fake confidence.

"Well there's not much to it Draco. If you like her, just go for it. She kissed you, she's obviously interested. Why waste any time?"