20

I smoothed my dress out. I had on a bodycon black tank top dress with white buttons down the middle. My hair was straightened down my back, i only had mascara on, and i had a pair of gold hoop earrings in. i slipped on a pair of black strappy heels. I sighed looking in the mirror.

Abuela's funeral was today and the atmosphere around the house was morbid.

Ricky had flown in the same day we did and has been staying in his room in the house. Nick couldn't bring himself to go back to his house so Elena and him have been staying in my room with me. Dana has been with her parents coming over everyday to help around Nick's house.

The day we came home, the lawyer told us that Abuela left everything to Nick and Elena and that Nick was given full guardianship of Elena given that he was her only living relative beside their dad. Nick had decided to sell the house and her car while keeping the restaurant. The past week we had been packing up and cleaning out the house figuring out what we were going to sell and keep.

Nick has been distant since we've been home, not that i blame him. Abuela raised him, loved him, and now she was gone. He spends his days with Elena barely ever setting her down. He stays up most of the night just watching her sleep. I try to comfort him but he usually ignores me along with everyone else. The most i get from him is a chaste kiss good morning and good night.

I walked out of my bathroom and into the bedroom. Nick was dressed in a suit struggling to do his tie. "Let me," i said, walking over to him. He looked at me with a blank stare as i tied his tie for him.

I looked down at elena. Nick had dressed her in a cute black lace dress with a big bow on her back and a white bow in her hair. She was standing in her crib jumping up and down. "Leia," she squealed.

I bent down. I smiled, caressing her cheek with my finger. "Hi baby girl."

"We should probably get going," he said. I nodded standing back up. He picked Elena up, setting her on his hip. I smiled as he grabbed my hand. We walked downstairs.

Mom and Edward were in the kitchen waiting for us. Mom had practically the same outfit as me consisting of a long black tank top dress, silver hoop earrings, and a pair of black stilettos. Looking between us now, i wasn't surprised that so many people mistake us for sisters. Mom sent us a small smile. "You guys ready to go?"

"Yeah." i squeezed Nick's hand. "I'll grab Elena's car seat."

"I already set it up in the car," Edward said.

I nodded. We walked outside to the car. Nick put Elena in her car seat and sat down beside him in the middle of us. He stared at her the entire ride to the church while holding my hand firmly in her lap. I rubbed soft circles on his hand with my thumb. We got to the church and got out of the car. Nick stared uncomfortably up at the church. I looked to mom. She smiled. "Nick sweetie, how about i take Elena inside and you take a few minutes?"

Nick looked down at Elena for a moment before nodding. He handed Elena to mom. Mom, edward, and Elena walked into the church as more and more people started filing in. i wrapped my arms around Nick's waist, laying my head against him. "We can go in whenever you're ready," i whispered. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and kissed the top of my head. I sighed closing my eyes.

We stayed outside for about ten minutes in silence. Nick tucked his head into my head breathing in deep. "We should probably head inside," he said against my skin.

"Whatever you want," i said softly.

He held me tight to his side as we walked inside. We sat down up front with mom, Edward, and Elena. Mom handed Elena back to Nick. Dana, Ricky, Luke, and Tessa walked in sometime after sitting beside us. Nick kept his hand in mine. The priest walked up to the podium. I focused my attention on Nick as he welcomed everyone and said a few things about abuela. "And now, Maria's grandson is going to come up and say a few words."