39

I opened my eyes and groaned at the bright white light hitting my eyes. It took a minute for my eyes to adjust and when they did, i noticed i was laying down in a hospital bed. I turned my head to see Nick sitting in a chair beside the bed. "Nick?" i asked in a cracky voice.

His head shot up. The first thing i noticed was the redness in his eyes and the dried tears on his cheeks. "Leia?" he asked. He launched forward, grabbing my hand and bringing it to his lips. "Oh, gracias a Dios. pensé que te había perdido."

I touched my throat with my free hand. He grabbed a water bottle that was next to his chair. He held it to my lips to help me drink. "Where's our baby?" i whispered.

"She's in the NICU," he said, kissing my palm. He reached up and brushed my hair back. "How do you feel?" he asked.

"Sore."

He closed his eyes. He held my hand against his cheek. "I thought i lost you. I followed the baby but when i went to go back to you they said you were in surgery. They had to fix your placental eruption and close you up from the c section."

I rubbed my thumb against his cheek. "All that matters is that she's okay."

He opened his eyes. "Don't say that," he said. I looked at him confused. "I was more worried and scared for you. You lost a lot of blood and you could've clotted. Leia, you could've died."

"But i didn't."

"But you could've." he squeezed my hand. "Leia, i can't lose you too," he whispered. "Corazón, i can live with a baby i've never met dying. but if i lost you, i wouldn't want to be in this world without you."

"What are you saying?"

He opened his mouth to answer but stopped as the door to the room opened. the doctor that performed the surgery on me walked in followed by mom. She came to my side and leaned down to kiss my forehead. "Hey baby."

"Hi mama."

"Leia, Nick, i'm dr. Perrigo, we didn't have the chance for proper introductions."

"When can i see my baby?" i asked.

She smiled. "Let's talk about you first while your mom gets your baby's doctor." Mom kissed my forehead again before leaving the room. "We were able to stitch you up from your c section as well as get all the placenta out. You'll need to stay here to recover for about three days to recover and you'll most likely be sore for another three days."

I nodded. "But she's going to be okay?" Nick asked.

"Yes, she is recovering quite well and we are optimistic about her continuing recovery."

Mom came back in with another doctor. "Leia, i'm Dr Russell. Your baby is currently recovering in the NICU. Because of your placental eruption she wasn't getting oxygen or nutrients. Luckily we were able to get her out in time and give her what she needs. We also had to do surgery to fix her lungs. Given how small she is, her lungs were just as small and right now she needs help breathing. We are hopeful that soon she will be able to breathe on her own."

"When can i see her?" i asked.

"Tomorrow," Dr Perrigo said. "You are still healing. I want you on total bed rest for the day and as long as your baby is doing okay, you can see her tomorrow."

i nodded. They left the room. "Mabel, can i? Can i lay with her? I don't want to hurt her," Nick said standing up.

"As long as you're careful."

I carefully pushed up and moved to the side of the bed. Nick carefully slid in beside me. "Is this okay?" he asked. I nodded. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders. I laid my head on his chest.