Scene 004

Scene 004

Coming awake with a rub of her cheek against the sheet, Amy thought, silk sheets and my favorite country music. I could lie here all day. The mellow country music played softly and the warm after sleep feeling flowed through her. She inhaled the silky sheets' fresh crisp scent. 

I don't remember leaving the radio playing last night, she thought. Frowning, Amy tried to remember and everything came flooding back. Rolling over, Amy cried, "It wasn't a dream. I'm still here." 

Sitting up and taking a few deep breaths, Amy called, "Cat, are you there or were you a part of a dream?" 

"I am here," Cat replied. 

As Cat answered, Amy felt her heart rate and breathing increase. She couldn't seem to catch her breath. The soothing tones started to play just under the country music. Cat had turned the soothing sounds back on. It sounded like ocean waves hitting the beach. The longer Amy listened to the sound the slower her heart beat. 

"OK, so nothing was a dream. Tell me, why I've been taken? I mean, it is not every day a woman is kidnapped for no reason and deposited into a room where the kidnappers can't get to her." Amy took a deep breath. She wasn't sure she wanted to know the answer. 

"My orders are to tell you that it is time for you to remember your dreams," Cat said, soothingly. 

"So, in other words you can't or won't give me a straight answer?" said Amy. In frustration, Amy yanked the covers back, nearly pulled them from the bed as she got up. Then quickly out of long habit, she made the bed. 

"That is correct. Jac wants to talk to you. May I tell him that you are awake? Is he welcome?" Cat probed. 

Walking into the kitchen, Amy raised her voice and said, "I need some breakfast first, then you may call Mr. Fledge." She rubbed her head and gave it a small shake. A pain was quickly forming. 

"Thank-you, I will inform him once you have eaten. You need not raise your voice. I can hear you at your normal voice level in any room you enter," corrected Cat. 

"Pardon me," Amy said, groaning. She shook her head and thought. Now I am apologizing to a computer.  

With a sigh, Amy turned to the simulator and said, "Drink. Coffee. Cream. Sugar." After watching the cup appeared, Amy reached for the warm brew and inhaled the aromatic scent. "Hum." She took a sip and closed her eyes as the coffee slid down her throat. 

"Now for food," Amy said. "Display the list of morning foods that are in your program." A long list appeared in the panel. Amy took another drink and waited for her order of cereal and toast. Groaning, Amy took her food and sat at the table eating her breakfast in her morning haze. Everything still had an unrealistic feel to it. 

Pushing her plate away, she stared at the last of her coffee. How did I ever get caught up in this mess? I wonder, thought Amy. "How long have I been here?" 

"You have been in this room for a little more than two of your earth weeks." Cat answered. 

"Great, there goes my job. Wait, what am I thinking? I must figure out how to get home," Amy muttered, closing her eyes. 

Finishing off her coffee, Amy began to clean up her dishes. "Go ahead and tell Mr. Fledge, I am ready to talk now," she said. 

A few moments later a small chiming sound came from the room's door. "May I come in and talk to you for a few minutes?" asked Jac, as his voice filled the room. 

"Yes, THIS," Amy stressed, "time you may come in."  

As the door opened, a tall man walked into the room. He stopped just inside the door. The man stood about six foot two and had a stock built. This was the man with whom Amy had spoken to in the viewer the last time she had woken.