Scene 001

*** Quick note. I am sorry for the wait. I completed this story over 12 years ago but started writing it 20 years ago. I had to update it. Some(many)things have changed over these years. I had said I would try to post every other day. But the story needed an overhall. ***

Scene 001

Earth:

Amy looked over the grassy park, while enjoying spending a quiet moment sitting with the big male next to her. She glanced over at him and took in his thick black mane of hair and his beautiful green eyes. . .

"Amy Gill, quit day dreaming and get back to work," a said harsh, nasally voice from behind her, causing her to jump.

Great Mr. Johnston, the store's night-time manager had caught her daydreaming. Amy pushed her shoulder length blond brown hair away from her face and went back to stocking the grocery shelves. I'm so glad I have the next two days off and then I don't have to come back until late Wednesday evening, she thought.

Awhile later, she looked up at the store's large clock and noticed that was 10:30. There was only another half an hour until quitting time. Quickly she cleaned up the unshelved stock and pushed the cart toward the back. As she passed the bakery, she nodded a greeting to Cloe, who was filling the cookie case.

With a wave, Cloe called, "Dreaming about 'The Man' again? That'll get you into real trouble one of these days." A mischievous grin appeared on her round face.

"Yeah, one of these days, I'm going to have to learn to leave him at home in bed," Amy chuckled and paused.

"At least you've something in your bed, dream or otherwise," said Cloe. She had told Amy before that her husband was the original couch potato.

Amy laughted, and continued to the back to put away the stock. After she finished, she headed to the time clock with a sigh of relief. When she rounded the corner which lead to the time clock, she saw Mr. Johnston was standing next to it. As she reached the time clock, she moved around him to clock-out. "Goodnight."

"May I have a minute of your time?" asked Mr. Johnston. He's squarish face was puckered in his usual frown.

"Sure." What now, she thought.

He looked her in the eye, and squared his shoulders. "Well, I hate to say this." He lowly cleared his throst. "If you don't quit day dreaming on the clock, I'm going to have to start docking your pay." 

 "Ugh, it was only this once. I can't help it if my brain has said it's had enough. I've worked twelve days straight and need a break," Amy said, then let out a fustrated sigh.

Abe cleared the expression from his face, then shrugged before continueing, "Don't come crying to me when your wages get docked. You've been warned." He put his hands in his pockets, turned, and walked toward the manager's office.

One mistake, I've been working ten hours a day for the last twelve days straight. Amy growled, clocked-out and stomped into the break room to grab her jacket and purse before heading toward the front door.

At the end of the isle, she walked into Joe the stores nineteen year old, night bagger. He was dusting the floor. She took a step back from tall, lanky male and the large dust mop that he was welding.

"I'm sorry Amy. I didn't see you," he apologized and rubbed the back of his neck. His face blushed red. He looked like a six month old Great Dane Puppy with its favorite toy standing there.

"No Joe. It was partly my fault. I wasn't looking where I was going," said Amy. She took a deep breath. As she let it go, she felt some of the day's tension leave her. "Bye, I'm heading into the wide unknown for the next two, plus days."