Scene 024

Scene 024

"Hello, Amy, are you here?" A voice broke through Amy's sleep. "Cat, are you sure she's here?"

Pushing herself into an upright position, Amy rubbed the sleep from her eyes. "Computer, turn the Lights up. I'm here Kronk," she said. She looked over toward the big engineer standing just inside of her door.

As she stood, Amy gave Kronk a smile. "I'm sorry; I was still asleep. Come in, have a seat. I'll get us something to drink. So you want anything special?" She asked, stopping at the doorway to look at Kronk.

He took a seat at the table. "No, whatever you're having, is just fine with me, but no whiskey please," said Kronk, with a small laugh.

Amy gave an answering laugh. "So you heard about that?"

"Yes, Santi issued a warning about the effects of alcohol on us. When I asked her how she had come to find out about it, she told me about Jac's experience," he said.

"Poor Jac, nothing is going right for him." Amy laughed again and ordered breakfast drinks. She grabbed the drinks and sat down at the table across from Kronk. "Here's your drink with no liquor as ordered." Amy said, handing one of the drinks to Kronk.

"May I ask, why you are still asleep at this hour of the morning?" asked Kronk, reaching for his drink.

"I'm sorry; My talk with my mate yesterday drained all of my spare energy. Well, that and feeling his tension about being in a shuttle. You did know he is on his way here?" She asked, taking a sip of her drink and breathed deep.

A look of horror crossed Kronk's face. Hissing, he said, "What do you mean your mate is coming here? Cat, is this who we're getting ready to catch?" A far off, panicking look crossed his face.

"You don't need to worry Kronk. I will handle everything," said Cat, in a tone filled with reassurance.

"Relax Kronk; I've enough nerves and tension from myself and my mate. I don't need yours as well," said Amy, recapturing Kronk's attention. "Let's talk about the ship. You said the engine and transporter are the same. Only, one is just a bigger version of the other, correct?"

"Yes, that's correct," Kronk said, taking the first sip of his drink. His mind was still on the fact that Dammarow Heir was coming to the ship. "Mum, this is good. Can you have Cat transfer the recipe for this to my simulator?" For a moment, he seemed to forget about Dammarow Heir's impending arrival.

Nodding her head, Amy gave him a slight smile. "My question is, where or how do we get the energy to run the rest of the ship?"

"Some of it is solar power. The skin or hull of the ship will absorb any light it can, process, and store it in our batteries. They are stored between cargo bays five and six," said Kronk. "Solar Power . . . "

Interrupting, Amy said, "I know what Solar Power is, my planet uses it to some extent. It is not used widely because it is cheaper to use fossil fuels."

"The rest of the power comes from the engine when it changes from one polarity to another. The charge is so powerful, if we didn't have some place to store it we might get ourselves blown up. Until about twenty thousand years ago only half of our ships that had Polarity Engine ever came home. The charge from the switch would catch the ship on fire," explained Kronk. The more he explained to Amy, the calmer he seemed to become.

"Have you reviewed any of the technology from my planet?" At Kronk's nod, Amy continued, "So your saying, when we shift polarity it is similar to an atomic reactor?"

"Some what," said Kronk. He gave Amy a smile of approval.

"OK, that is one questioned answered. Now, for another," said Amy.