Scene 056

Scene 056

"Hello, Who is there?" Called Cat, checking her circuits it felt as if someone was crawling around in them with her.

"Hello. I'm sorry for such the intrusion, but I couldn't figure out how else to contact you," Lubin said in his humming mind speech.

"What are you doing in here?" Came Cat, amazed that he was able to talk to her. "How and Why?"

"Just because your mind is now mechanical doesn't mean you are, that's your answer to the how. Now as to why, I wanted to talk to someone almost as old as myself." Lubin hummed.

"Just, how old are you?" inquired Cat.

"Let me see. I'm more than eight hundred years old and considered a baby. We Dolefurs live to be very old," said Lubin. "A Dolefur starts out no bigger than the size of an adult Valdiarian male's hand. It takes many years to reach our full size, about a hundred years."

"Really?" inquired Cat, at Lubin's affirmative hum, she continued, "Does it take as long for you to grow up mentally?"

"Like any other race, we mature physically first then mentally. I was about two hundred before I was considered mature," Lubin hummed.

"What is your real name?"

"I really don't remember. Each race or person I've dealt with has called me something different, but I really like the name Lubin," hummed Lubin. "You know there is something not quite right about the creature called 'Turk'."

"What do you mean?" asked Cat. She gave Lubin her total attention.

"He doesn't smell right for a Reptilian. Every time I catch his scent I want to bear my teeth and bite him." Lubin growled just at the thought of him.

"You must have heard the talk. Dam and the others are beginning to agree with you. I am monitoring him at all times; letting him do whatever he wants, as long as it does not endanger the ship or anyone on it." Cat confided.

Lubin hummed with understanding.

"What made you choose Amy? I mean the Repair Station was filled with all types of people from different races," Inquired Cat.

Lubin was silent for a moment than answered. "The only thing I can really tell you is, I felt her pulling at me. I hadn't wanted another caretaker anytime soon. As you probably know, a few races will try to kill a Dolefur for pleasure. Most will just leave us alone. There are very few races or people who will accept us for whom we are."

"Understandable, after seven hundred years of service to Valdiar, sometimes I think I would want a vacation," said Cat. "It was only in the last ninety years that I have felt renewed. I researched and found my descents. I treat them like my children and grandchildren." She laughed.

"Offspring. Hum. I've not had the pleasure yet." Acknowledged Lubin. "The conditions must be just right for us to reproduce. I'm not sure I want any."

"What do you mean the conditions must be just right?" Questioned Cat.

"All Dolefurs are male until we are ready for offspring then our bodies transforms and we become female. Then, in about four months, we have between five and ten offspring. As for the conditions, one, a Dolefur must be old enough and two, we must feel totally safe."

"I did not know," said Cat.

"Not many races do," claimed Lubin, "Tell me about Amy's home planet. I've never been there, not quite advanced enough yet."

For the rest of the night Cat and Lubin discussed Amy's home planet and all its trials.