2|Finding Sam

Dean was trying to track down Sam, and I excused myself while he worked. I could feel Bobby's eyes boring a hole into my skull, but ignored him. When I got to a secluded section of the salvage yard outside, I pulled out my phone, ignoring the text messages and just dialing the number of the person who sent them.

"Eleanor Willow Dawson, where the hell are you?"

"Brigham, calm down. I'm at Bobby's."

"You're at Bobby's?" he repeated.

"Yeah," I sighed, chewing my lip and playing with my locket.

"Well, you could have at least left a note to tell me you were heading to Bobby's place instead of leaving me with nothing."

"I know... I know, but it was kind of a last minute thing."

"Ellie, what's going on?"

"He's back, Brigham."

There was silence on the other end of the phone.

"You don't mean-"

"He's inside with Bobby trying to track down Sam right now. I should actually get back in there before they get too suspicious."

"How?"

"We... We're trying to figure that out. He figures Sam made a deal or something."

"Eleanor, you wouldn't have just dropped everything with no notice unless you knew something. How is he back?"

"The angel told me it happened. I woke up to him announcing it and so I booked it to Bobby's to tell him. He showed up about fifteen minutes later."

"It's been four months, Ellie."

"I'm aware," I rolled my eyes.

"So why are you avoiding saying his name still?"

"I gotta go, Brigham. I love you."

"We're going to talk about this, Eleanor. Whether you want to or not."

"I love you. Call you when I have a chance," I told him.

"I love you, too, Ellie Bellie. Bye."

I hung up, releasing a long breath. Bobby and Dean looked up from the computer when I walked back inside.

"Where were you?" Dean demanded.

"Had to call someone. Did you find Sam?"

Dean's eyes analyzed me silently before he nodded.

"Sam's in Pontiac, Illinois."

"Right near where you were planted," I realized.

"Right where I popped up," he nodded again. "Hell of a coincidence, don't you think?"

"So what have you been up to the last few months?"

"I don't think you really want to know that," I replied, keeping my eyes glued to the road.

Dean and I were following Bobby's truck in my car.

"Actually, I really do, Eleanor."

I bit my lip, taking one hand off the wheel to fiddle with my locket again.

"Trust me, you really don't."

I risked a look over at him in the passenger seat. His gaze was hard, flickering down to watch my fingers mess with the necklace he'd given me for Christmas before traveling back up to my face.

"Bobby said you knew I was back. Before I showed up. Care to explain that?"

"I don't-"

"Dammit, Ellie, give me something," Dean growled.

"I don't have to give you anything," I shot back. "I had to deal with not only your death, but the death of my daughter that night. So I'm sorry if I'm not in the sharing mood at the moment."

It was quiet in the small car following my statement. I didn't dare look over at him for fear that my resolve would break.

"Our daughter," Dean whispered after a few minutes.

"What?" I snapped.

"Our daughter," he repeated louder. "She wasn't just yours."

I was silent, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"I know," I whispered, voice catching slightly.

Dean didn't say anything else, but he did reach over and take one of my hands from the wheel to grasp in his own. A single tear slipped down my cheek and I bit down hard on my bottom lip as he started rubbing slow circles on the back of my hand with his thumb. The rest of the drive to Illinois was passed in silence.

Sam was staying in what I could only describe as a hooker motel. It was dingy and all the room numbers were inside hearts on the doors. So it shouldn't have been a surprise when a hot young woman with dark hair wearing only a tank top and underwear answered the door of the room Sam was supposed to be staying in.

"So where is it?" she asked us expectantly.

"Where's what?" Dean asked, confused.

"The pizza," the woman spoke in a tone that suggested she thought it should have been obvious, "that takes three people to deliver?"

"I think we got the wrong room," Dean said, glancing over at Bobby and me.

However, at that moment Sam stepped into the light behind the young woman. His expression was grim and focused and he was wearing jeans and a grey t-shirt.

"Hey, is..." he trailed off.

His eyes widened as he took in the three of us standing there. He looked at Bobby first, then looked a little more shocked when he moved his gaze to me and then did a full double take when he saw Dean.

"Heya, Sammy," Dean greeted him softly.

Sam remained silent and Dean pushed past the young woman to enter the room. She quickly stepped back to allow the three of us to come in. As Dean got close, Sam lunged at him with a knife. The young woman at the door screamed while Dean blocked Sam's attack, and Bobby pulled the younger brother away while I stood frozen by the young woman.

"Who are you?!" Sam shouted at Dean.

"Like you didn't do this," Dean shouted back.

"Do what?!"

"It's him!" Bobby yelled. "It's him! I've been through this already, it's really him."

"What..." Sam trailed off, the fight going out of him.

"I know," Dean smirked, advancing cautiously. "I look fantastic, huh?"

Bobby let go of Sam and the brothers embraced tearfully. Bobby was watching with tears in his own eyes and I fixed my gaze on my feet. After a few moments, Sam pushed Dean away at arms' length.

"So, are you two like... together?" the young woman piped up.

Sam looked over at her in shock as if he'd forgotten she was there.

"What? No. No. He's my brother."

"Uh... got it. I... I guess. Look, I should probably go."

"Yeah," Sam agreed. "Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Sorry."