52|The God That Failed

Pride you took, pride you feel

It had been several days, and we still had no leads on Lucifer or Michael.

Pride that you felt when you'd kneel

All the fight and confidence I'd felt when I said those things in front of Bobby had gone out of me, Sam and Dean taking the lead on most of the work now.

Not the word, not the love

The locket I'd returned to Dean sat open in the palm of my hand as I stared down at the pictures with tears in my eyes.

Not what you thought from above

I wanted to turn back time, go back all the way to the beginning, when Sam and Dean first walked into my father's shop.

It feeds (it feeds),

I wanted to send them packing, refuse to help them track down John.

It grows (it grows)

I wanted to take everything back, just keep living my life in that small town where everyone loved me and my father.

It clouds all you will know

In a fit of rage, I threw the locket across the room, not caring where it ended up.

Deceit, deceive

Everything was so much easier before the damn Winchesters walked back into my life.

Decide just what you believe

I buried my face in my hands, vaguely aware of the door opening and closing as someone joined me.

I see faith in your eyes

A familiar pair of arms pulled me into the person's lap, rocking me gently back and forth.

Never you hear the discouraging lies

The scent of whiskey, gunpowder and leather filled my nose as I breathed in the comforting smell.

I hear your faith in your cries

Sweet nothings were being murmured in a deep baritone, though I was too numb and zoned out to really process what was being said.

Broken is the promise, betrayal

"It's okay, Ellie Bear. We'll be okay."

The healing hand held back by the deepened nail

Sobs shook my body as he gently soothed my troubles away.

Follow the God that failed

We were completely, and utterly screwed.

Bobby was in a bathrobe and baseball cap, sitting in a wheelchair and staring out the window. Sam and I watched him from the doorway as Dean came up holding a manila envelope.

"It's been like, three days now?" he asked, glancing in at Bobby.

Sam just sighed, me remaining silent. Like Bobby, I hadn't really spoken the past few days, though I was still trying to go through the motions.

"We got to cheer him up," Dean continued. "Maybe I'll give him a backrub."

"Dean," Sam glared over at his brother.

"Well, what, then?"

"Look... we might have to wrap our heads around the idea that Bobby might not just bounce back this time."