13|October 31, 1994

Another death had occurred, this time at a teen party. The whole scene made me uncomfortable, making me think of the last Halloween I had any real memory of. While Sam and Dean took care of things at the scene, I got lost in thought.

HALLOWEEN, OCTOBER 31, 1994

"Pleeeeease."

I bit my lip, tearing my gaze away from Sammy's signature puppy dog eyes to look at Dean who was snickering over on the couch. We were upstairs in mine and my dad's apartment over the shop. John had left on a case and it had been more convenient to dump his boys here for a little while than to leave them at a motel somewhere.

"I don't know, Sammy," I told the young boy, looking back at him.

"But it's Halloween," the 11-year-old whined.

I looked back over at the elder Winchester desperately.

"He's your brother. Aren't you going to help me here?"

"I think you've got it covered," Dean grinned cockily at me.

I rolled my eyes, and again moved my gaze back to Sam.

"I don't know what time my dad's getting back," I tried to reason with him.

"Oh, come on. We won't stay out that late. It's just for a little while."

"Yeah, Ellie. It's just for a little while," Dean chimed in.

"Oh, no. If you aren't going to contribute anything helpful, then you can sit there and shut your mouth, Winchester," I snapped at him.

He grinned again, sending me a wink.

"Please, Ellie," Sam pouted.

I chewed my lip, weighing the pros and cons of Sam's request.

"Ugh. Fine. But we're not staying long, you hear me?"

Sam just grinned widely, running to grab his jacket from beside the front door.

"What about your dad?" Dean asked, standing up to follow me in the direction Sam had hurried off in.

"I'll deal with him later if I need to," I sighed. "You know, you could help me every once in a while instead of letting me deal with that look alone."

"Eh, I live with him and that look all the time. It's nice to take a break and let someone else deal with it."

I rolled my eyes, grabbing my jacket from the hook beside the door. Once the three of us were ready, we crept downstairs through the front of the store and out onto the street. Sam ran on ahead of Dean and I while we hung back a little.

"Sammy, slow down!" I called.

"Oh, let him have fun. He never gets to do stuff like this," Dean told me.

We wandered down the dark streets, Sam staring around with wide eyes at all the Halloween decorations on people's lawns. It was kind of bitter sweet watching him act like a little kid still. As we turned down another street with fancier houses that had more decorations than most other streets, we easily made out the sound of blasting music coming from the end of the nearby Cul-de-sac. Cars were packed on the edges of the street leading to the source of the music.

"Come on, guys!" Sam called back to us.

"Sam, wait!" I yelled back, but he wasn't listening.

He ran down the street toward the house with all the noise and Dean and I had no choice but to follow him so he stayed out of trouble. We were pretty far from the shop by now, and all I could think about was how much trouble I would be in when my dad found out.

"Sammy, come back!" Dean called this time.

Either the young boy was ignoring us, or he couldn't hear us over the music because we were now right outside the party house, the music's volume increasing with our close proximity. A couple older teens were out on the front lawn, some of them making out, but it was clear the majority of the crowd was inside.

"Sam!" I tried again, hurrying to catch up with him.

As if in a trance, Sam made his way toward the open door and entered the house.

"Damn it. I'll go find him," Dean told me. "You stay here."

I did as I was told, remaining on the front walkway as Dean also disappeared into the party. I chewed my lip, shifting my weight nervously from one foot to the other. I checked the time on my phone, my heart thudding in my chest when I saw that it was later than I thought.

"Dad's gonna kill me," I muttered to myself.

"Oh, but it's Halloween," a voice sounded behind me. "The one night kids are allowed to rebel against their parents and get away with it."

I turned to see a guy a year or two older than Dean. He was fully decked out in a Zorro costume.

"Where's your costume, sweetheart?" he asked me sweetly.

"Don't have one," I replied, a bit uncomfortable with the situation.

"That's unfortunate," Zorro stuck out his lip in a pout. "Would have loved to see a pretty little thing like you all dressed up."

I swallowed hard, glancing back at the open front door. There was still no sign of Dean or Sam.

"Want to come in with me?" Zorro offered, drawing my attention back to him. "I can show you a real good time."

"I- I'm good, thanks," I stammered, taking a step back away from him.

He smirked, taking a step forward to counteract my movement.

"What's the matter, sweetheart?" he asked in a low voice. "Scared of a little fun?"

"I don't-" I started to protest, the words getting caught in my mouth.

"Everything alright here?"

I was never so relieved to hear the voice of Dean Winchester. I glanced back over my shoulder to see him coming toward Zorro and me, little Sammy in tow behind him.

"We were just chattin'," Zorro told him. "Ain't that right, sweetheart?"

"Dean, let's go," I muttered quietly.

"Oh, but we weren't finished, sweetheart," Zorro moved to stop me from leaving.

"Let the girl leave, man," Dean snarled at him.

"Or what? What're you gonna do about it?"

I watched as Dean's fist clenched by his side and he took a step toward Zorro.

"Dean, don't!"

As if in slow motion, I saw Dean throw a right hook, clocking Zorro in the jaw. The fight quickly escalated, Sammy and I watching in horror as the two went at each other. Everything after that was just a blur in my mind, but at some point during the fight, the police showed up and shut down the party. Parents were called, and my dad ended up picking me, Sam and Dean up and taking us back to the shop. I could tell he was really disappointed in me, but didn't want to say anything in front of the Winchesters.

He called John and told him what happened. John showed up a few hours later to pick up the boys and take them to stay at a motel for the remainder of his hunt. That was the last time Sam and Dean stayed over longer than the short stops when John picked up supplies from the back room. I watched from the upstairs window as Sam and Dean climbed into the Impala. Dean was sporting a new bruise under his right eye that hadn't been there after the fight. Before climbing into the passenger seat, he looked up and met my gaze.

I raised my hand in a little wave and he winked at me and then slipped into the car. As the Impala drove off, my heart fluttered in my chest. That was the first time I realized I had a crush on Dean Winchester.