28|Walking Pieces of Fog

Sam was closing the curtains to the windows while Dean lit candles. Pamela was sitting on a chair between the two beds. I stood off to the side, arms folded over my chest as I watched the scene play out.

"Tell me something, geniuses," Pamela began. "Even if you do break the veil and you find the reaper, how you gonna save it?"

"With style and class," Dean quipped and I rolled my eyes.

"You're going to be two walking pieces of fog who can't touch or move anything," Pamela pointed out. "You'll be defenseless, hotshot."

"First of all, it's three. Ellie's coming with us-" Dean began.

"Like hell I am," I protested.

"And second," Sam picked up like I hadn't said anything, "I seem to recall a bunch of ghosts beating the crap out of us."

"Yeah, well, they had plenty of time to practice," Pamela responded.

"Well, then, I guess we got to start cramming," Dean shrugged, giving me a pointed look.

"Wow, couple of heroes. Alright."

Pamela patted one of the beds beside her.

"Lie down. Close your eyes."

Sam got on the bed she patted and Dean gestured to the other bed, staring at me. Sighing, I headed over and laid down, closing my eyes. I felt the bed dip a little next to me as Dean joined me. Pamela started the ritual as soon as we were in place.

"Animum vult decipi, ergo decipiatur. Vis, vis, vis. Okay guys," she said after a few minutes. "That's it. Show time."

I sat up, getting off the bed, and staring back down at Dean and my bodies in the bed. Dean's hand was reaching toward mine, not quite touching it and my head was turned toward him even though I couldn't remember doing so. Dean's body also stayed in place as he sat up as well, looking toward Pamela.

"Well, nothing like shooting blanks. What's plan B?"

I rolled my eyes at him, shaking my head. Pamela obviously didn't respond, and Dean looked past her at Sam's body lying in the other bed and then past it to the ghost of Sam standing up. Sam didn't say anything, but spread his hands. Dean looked back over his shoulder at his and mine unconscious bodies, then further to me.

"Oh, I'm so feeling up Demi Moore," Dean mumbled.

"Alright, so, I'm assuming you're somewhere over the rainbow," Pamela said. "Remember I have to bring you back."

She stood, walking closer to Sam's bed while we watched.

"I'll whisper the incantation into your ear," she continued.

She leaned in, whispering something into Sam's ear and he smiled.

"What'd she-" Dean looked over at Sam. "What'd she say?"

Sam just shrugged, and I smirked, shaking my head.

"I really don't like this plan," I announced as we walked along the street, looking around.

"Yeah, Ellie, we heard you the first ten times," Dean responded.

A jogger ran straight through Sam without noticing and Dean laughed, watching her go. He then turned back to his brother.

"That was wild," he grinned.

Sam stared back at him incredulously. Dean stuck his arm into Sam's chest up to his elbow. Sam looked down at it, then back up, face stony.

"Am I making you uncomfortable?" Dean inquired.

"Get out of me."

The elder Winchester pulled his arm back as I chuckled softly.

"You're such a prude. Come on."

"Oh, man, we've been spooking this town for hours. No demons, no black smoke. I say we hit Victoria's Secret and get our peep on, huh?"

Forgetting we were ghosts, I went to smack Dean upside the head. To my surprise, I actually made contact as if he was still solid.

"Ow! What the hell?"

I shrugged, smirking at him when Sam's voice interrupted us.

"Hey. Three o'clock. Kid in the window."

Dean and I turned to see what he was looking at. Sure enough, in an upstairs window of one of the houses to our right, a young boy was staring straight at the three of us.

"Am I crazy or is he looking at us?" Sam asked.

"It's cause we've seen him before," Dean said.

"We have?"

"Newspaper," I nodded. "Cole Griffith, the last person to die in this town."

Cole flickered and vanished from sight. We all exchanged a look and then made our way toward the house. We headed upstairs to the room we'd seen Cole in. A woman, who must have been Cole's mother was also heading in.

"Cole?" she called out, wrapping her bathrobe tighter around herself. "It's Mom. Your dad thinks I'm crazy. Are you here? A picture frame fell over. I could have sworn it was you, baby. Are you still here with me?"

Over by the dresser, Cole spun a soccer ball while his mother stared. Then he picked it up, throwing it past her head at Sam, Dean and I. It went through us and bounced off the door. Mrs. Griffith put her hands to her head.

"Oh, my God!" she cried, turning and hurrying back out, passing through as she did.

Cole continued to throw balls in our direction.

"Stop! How are you doing that?" Dean asked him.

"Who are you?" Cole demanded.

"Relax, Cole. It's okay," I told him gently.

"How do you know my name?" Cole demanded again, another ball ready to launch in his hands.

"Look, this isn't going to be easy to hear, but..." Sam began, "you're- dead. You're a spirit. Us, too."

Dean and I both looked over at the younger Winchester. However, from Cole's expression and next words, he didn't seem phased by what Sam said.

"Yeah, thanks Haley Joel," Cole responded sarcastically. "I know I'm dead. What do you want?"

"We just want to talk," I said, looking back at him.

"About what?"

Apparently, Cole had been outside in the cold and had an asthma attack when he died. He said he saw the reaper, but he didn't want to go with him. That's when the black smoke showed up. Cole hid in the closet, and when he came back out, it was gone and so was the reaper.

"Do you know where the smoke went?" I asked Cole.

"No," Cole shook his head. "But I know where it is."

The lights started flickering in the kitchen where we'd moved. Cole jumped, and Dean glanced up while behind us, Mrs. Griffith glanced around.

"They're back," Cole muttered.

"Who?" Dean asked.

Without answering, Cole vanished once more. We stood from the table, looking around. A blast of wind hit us all in the face, and then something white and human-shaped went through the room and upstairs.

"Another reaper," Sam said.

We hurried upstairs after the reaper.

"Hey! Wait! Wait! We need to talk to you!" Dean called after it.

As we stared, a young woman descended the stairs. She was pretty with short black hair.

"Dean," she greeted the elder Winchester.

Sam and I glanced over at Dean, who looked confused.

"Do I know you?" he inquired.

"We go way back," the woman nodded.