26|Death Takes a Holiday

Our next case was a siren. It was a really awful case for both Dean and I because of the residual tension that hung between us since leaving Brigham's place. The siren made us say some things to each other that were really similar to our fight on the bus with just a few less filters. The siren also got to Sam, so we also ended up arguing with him about what he was doing with Ruby still. In turn, Sam told us how we were holding him back and how he was a better hunter with Ruby.

After that, Bobby found us a case in Wyoming. Dean and I were eating while Sam told us about the case.

"Small town, no one's died in the past week and a half," Sam explained.

"That so unusual?" I asked.

"Well, it's how they're not dying. One guy with terminal cancer strolls straight out of hospice. Another guy gets capped by a mugger and gets away without a scratch."

"Capped in the ass?" Dean quipped.

Sam turned his laptop for us to see the two articles open, one about the cancer guy and the other about the mugging victim, Mr. Jenkins.

"Police say Mr. Jenkins was shot in the heart at point-blank range by a nine-millimeter."

"And he's not a doughnut?" Dean quipped, mouth full.

"Locals are saying it's a miracle," Sam shrugged.

"Okay," I nodded, continuing to eat my own meal.

"It's got to be something nasty, right? I mean, people making deals or something."

Dean and I were both quiet, considering Sam's words.

"You think?" I asked finally.

"What else could it be?" Sam countered.

"I don't know," I mumbled as Dean shrugged beside me.

"Alright," Sam closed his laptop, slipping it into his bag. "Get those to go."

Dean and I glanced at each other, but made no move to get up from the table.

"Come on."

Sam stood, picking up his bag, but Dean and I remained seated, continuing to eat our meals.

"What?" he asked us.

Dean and I glanced up at him, then away again.

"You sure you want us going with you?" Dean inquired.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"We don't want to be holding you back or nothing," I answered.

"Guys, I've told you a hundred times, that was the siren talking, not me," Sam said. "Can we get past this?"

After a beat, Dean and I set down our burgers and brushed off our hands in synch.

"Yeah, we're past it," Dean mumbled.

After interviewing both Mr. Jenkins and the cancer survivor, it became clear there weren't any demon deals being made in the town. The last death we could find was a kid named Cole Griffith who had died ten days ago.

"Eh, maybe it is what people say it is," Dean suggested.

He stood up from the laptop and walked over to the kitchenette while Sam headed over to get a closer look at the screen. I was lounging on one of the beds, going through my phone.

"Miracles?" Sam scoffed. "Dean, our experience, when do miracles just happen?"

"Well, there's no deals. No skeevy faith healers," Dean pointed out as he poured himself a cup of coffee. "I mean, these souls just ain't getting dragged to the light."

"Maybe cause there's no one around to carry them," I suggested without looking up.

It was quiet following the statement and I glanced up to see both brothers staring at me.

"What do you mean?" Dean asked.

"Well grim reapers- that's what they do, right? Schlep souls? So, if death ain't in town-"

"Then nobody's dying," Sam finished.

"So, what?" Dean inquired. "The local reaper's on strike? Playing the back nine? I don't know, guys."

"Well, then let's talk to somebody who might," Sam suggested.

"Well, last I checked, huggy bear ain't available," Dean quipped.

"No, dude, the kid."

"The kid?" I asked. "The kid's a doornail."

"Exactly," Sam nodded. "Look, if he was the last person to die around here, then maybe he's seen something. We should talk to him."

"I love how matter-of-fact you are about that," Dean shook his head. "Strange lives."

We were in the cemetery standing in front of a gravestone that read: 

'Beloved Son
Cole Griffith
1997-2009
Forever in our Memories.'

Sam had arranged five candles around a pentacle drawn on a cloth that he spread over the grave. He was placing a bundle of sticks in the center of the pentacle while Dean sat on another gravestone flipping through John's journal and I stood off to the side waiting.

"You sure this is gonna work?" I asked.

Sam glanced up at me and Dean just continued looking through the journal.

"No," Sam admitted. "But if his spirit's around, this should smoke him out."

The younger Winchester poured something into a bowl as Dean shut the journal.

"What?" I asked him.

"This job is jacked, that's what," Dean sighed.

"How so?" Sam inquired.

"You want me to gank a monster or torch a corpse, hey, let's light it up, right? But this?" Dean gestured to Sam's setup. "If we fix whatever this is, people are gonna start dropping dead. Good people."

Sam stood up straight, looking over at his older brother.

"Look, I don't want them to die either, Dean, but there's a natural order."

"You're kidding, right?" I raised an eyebrow.

"What?"

"You don't see the irony in that?" I continued. "I mean, the three of us, we're like the epitome of the unnatural order. All we do is ditch death."

"Yeah, but the normal rules don't really apply to us, do they?" Sam pointed out.

"We're no different than anybody else," Dean chimed in.

"I'm infected with demon blood," Sam said. "You've been to Hell, and Ellie..."

Dean looked down and I glanced away as he trailed off. I hadn't told the boys about the little information I'd gotten from Anna before I ditched them. There was really no easy way of bringing up the fact that not only did my powers come from Heaven, but I apparently was capable of killing both demons and angels with them.

"Look, I know you want to think of yourself as Joe the Plumber, Dean, but you're not. Neither am I. The sooner you accept that, the better off you're gonna be."

Dean looked back at Sam with a smirk.

"Ah, Joe the Plumber was a douche."

"You gonna help me finish this?" Sam rolled his eyes.

As Dean stood up, a foreign voice carried over to us.

"Hey!"

We all froze, as the beam of a flashlight approached us.