113|Remembering

The young woman opened a drink and handed it to me.

"Come on, you're dickin' with me," she scoffed. "Nothing?"

"I'm telling you. Blank slate."

I drank from the bottle as she stared at me.

"Well, you got a wallet? ID?"

"I wish I did," I shook my head.

"Okay, well what's the last thing you remember?"

"Um, I woke up on a park bench, cops shining flashlights in my face, trying to take me in."

"So you ran."

"No, I, um, I knocked 'em out cold. Both of them," I held up my hands when I saw her terrified expression. "No, look, I- I didn't mean to. It just happened really fast, you know I- I think instinct or something, I guess."

"Some instinct," she muttered.

I shrugged helplessly.

"Yeah, tell me about it. I mean, who even knows how to do something like that?"

"We'll get you to the ER. The- the quacks will hash it out."

"No."

"Try 'yeah'. Look the- the bats have flown out of the belfry, you need to see a doctor."

"No," I stood up. "I don't have time."

"Time for what?"

I sighed, not even knowing where to begin to explain.

"Look, it's hard to explain, I just feel like I- I have to be somewhere. There's something I gotta stop."

"Oh, like a wedding? A train?"

"No, something more important," I shook my head. "Something like life or death, like-"

"Okay, hey, hey, hey," she stopped me. "Just relax, you know, you- you can't poop it out, so just... it'll come to you."

I nodded my head, then noticed something and headed over to the bookshelf. I felt the young woman's eyes follow me as I plucked a book from the shelf- The Haunter of the Dark by H.P. Lovecraft.

"What is it?" she asked.

I turned the book so she could read the title.

"You a horror fan?"

"Yeah, um, I think so. I really think so. Something- something about this..."

I clutched my head as flashes of different things went through my head.

"Phillips ain't his last name," an old gruff looking guy said. "It's Lovecraft."

A different man with piercing green eyes stood outside a hospital... A little girl with red hair and the same green eyes climbed into the car with me as we drove away from the man... I was in a house, being jumped by a man with black eyes... a man with a low cut grey shirt and stormy blue eyes stood in front of me and the green eyed man... The gruff guy was talking about Lovecraft again... And then there was a flash of a motel sign- The Nite Owl.

I gasped, slumping over against the bookshelf.

"Hey!" the young woman cried. "Hey, hey, hey. Seriously, we're taking you to a doctor."

"Have you got a computer?"

"What?"

Turns out The Nite Owl was an actual place. The young woman offered to drive me there, mostly because she was worried about me, but also because she was curious who I was.