73|Have Faith

Our next case happened right in Sioux Falls. Another sign of the apocalypse- people's loved ones were rising from the dead and killing them. One of the undead- Karen Singer, Bobby's wife. Turned out, it was a play by Death, with a message for Bobby. He rose the people, including Karen, because Bobby was one of the main reasons holding the boys back from saying 'yes'. After that, a couple hunter friends of Sam and Dean killed all three of us and we spent some time in Heaven. We ran into Ash and Pamela while we were up there, and then had a conversation with Joshua in the Garden. He told us that God was the one who put us on the plane, and saved us all, but that he was done, and we weren't going to find him.

So, we got sent back to Earth, this time with all our memories of our trip upstairs (apparently we'd been more than once and we kept getting sent back without our memories). After that, we spent some time in a town that claimed they were being directed by a prophetess, but turned out to be the Whore of Babylon. Dean killed her. And then he just took off without us.

"Ellie? Ellie! You with us?"

"Hm?"

I lifted my eyes slowly from the floor to meet Sam's. We'd been trying to track down Dean for a few days now with Castiel's help. Without Dean around to hold me at night and talk me away from the edge, my depression had been hitting full force. Sure, it hadn't really gone away, but I at least felt like I had a fighting chance when I had Dean around to support me. Plus, I could return the favor. We'd had a good talk the same night as our shared mental breakdown outside Bobby's house after the showdown with Famine, opening up to each other about our struggles to each other, and until Dean ditched out, we'd been doing pretty good at being there for each other.

"We have a lead on Dean. Cass and I are going. Do you want to come, too?"

I just shook my head numbly, returning my gaze to the floor and sinking back into the depths of my mind.

"Yeah, no, this is good. Really. You know, eight months of turned pages and screwed pooches but tonight, tonight's when the magic happens."

I closed my eyes tightly against the onslaught of tears, biting down hard on my bottom lip to keep it from shaking. Sam and Cass had brought Dean back, and he'd been saying anything and everything he could to get us to push him away so he could leave again and say 'yes' to Michael.

"You ain't helpin'," Bobby snapped at him.

"Yeah, well, why don't you let me get out of your hair, then?"

"What the hell happened to you?"

"Reality happened. Nuclear's the only option we have left. Michael can ice the Devil, save a boatload of people."

"But not all of them. We gotta think of something else."

"Yeah, well, that's easy for you to say. But if Lucifer burns this mother down, and I coulda done something about it, guess what? That's on me."

"You can't give up, son."

"You're not my father. And you ain't in my shoes."

I opened my eyes, all of us slightly shocked by Dean's words. We all watched as Bobby pulled out a gun from his desk and set it in front of him. Then he pulled a single bullet from his pocket and looked at it.

"What is that?" Dean asked.

"That's the round I mean to put through my skull," Bobby replied, setting the bullet beside the gun. "Every morning, I look at it. I think, 'Maybe today's the day I flip the lights out.' But I don't do it. I never do it. You know why? Because I PROMISED YOU! I WOULDN'T GIVE UP!"

Unable to be in the room any more, I stood from my chair and hurried out, ignoring the feeling of the eyes following me. I ran out the door and past the maze of scraps and rusted cars, off Bobby's property and through the streets of town, going until pavement gave way to the dirt of some forested path and then going some more. My lungs burned and my muscles screamed from the excursion. I hadn't gone on an actual run since I left Brigham. Still, I pushed myself to put as much distance between me and that house where my father figure wanted to kill himself and my boyfriend wanted to say 'yes' to an archangel.

Pretty soon, the thick forest thinned out, and I found myself on a hill where the grass went to a ledge that just dropped. At the bottom were more trees and hills stretching out for miles, fading into the horizon. I walked until I stood at the edge, not quite close enough that I was in danger of slipping, but not far enough to be considered safe.

"What are you doing, Ellie Bear?"

I took a step back, turning to see my father standing there, staring at me. He looked just like I remembered before his accident. Same dark brown hair, same clean shaven beard, same twinkling blue eyes.

"Daddy," I whispered, tears slowly rolling down my cheeks.

He walked toward me, pulling me into his chest. I wrapped my arms around his middle, taking in the familiar scent of cedar and pine mixed with gunpowder that I hadn't smelled in years.

"What's wrong, Ellie Bear?" he asked me.

"I can't... I can't do it anymore, Daddy," I cried. "I've lost too much."

"I know, baby girl. But I know for a fact you can do it."

"How?"

He lifted my chin, forcing my tear-filled eyes to look up at him.

"Because I've seen you do it before. You got through the death of your mother, the loss of your best friends, my death. You got through it all, and you were stronger for it. I know it hurts now, but it always gets better. You've got to know that by now."

"How can this possibly get better, Daddy? It's literally the end of the world. Lucifer and Michael are going to fight, and whoever comes out on top, I have to..."

I shook my head, lips quivering as I continued to shed silent tears.

"It will get better, Ellie Bear. I promise. You just have to have faith."

"Faith? Faith in what?"

"Faith in yourself. Faith in Sam, and Dean. Everything will work out, Ellie Bear. Just you wait and see."

"Y-you're not really here, are you?" I asked. "I mean, how could you be? Y-you died."

"No, I'm not," my father smiled. "But, I am with you, always. Right here."

He grabbed my hand, placing it over my heart and holding it there.

"You'll always have me, Ellie. Never forget that."

"I love you, Daddy."

"I love you, too, Ellie Bear. Now go back to that house and be there for your family."