75|Doing It Our Way

Adam was on the floor against the opposite wall, and Dean rushed over to him.

"Adam, hey. Hey," he said.

"You came for me," Adam said, looking up at Dean.

"Yeah, well, you're family."

"Dean, it's a trap."

"Yeah, I figured."

"Dean, please," Zachariah said, appearing behind him. "Did you really think it would be that easy?"

"Did you?" Dean countered.

I came at Zachariah from behind with an angel blade. The angel knocked it out of my hand, throwing me against a screen.

"Ellie!"

"You know what I've learned from this experience, Dean? Patience."

The angel waved a hand, and Adam collapsed to the floor, coughing up blood.

"Adam? Let him go, you son of a bitch."

"I mean, I thought I was downsized for sure," Zach continued, ignoring Dean. "And for us, a firing... pretty damn literal. But I should have trusted the boss man. It's all playing out like he said... You, me, your hemorrhaging brother and girlfriend."

He turned his fist in my direction, and I began coughing up blood like Adam. Apparently, the angels had given up on keeping me safe for the winner of the fight.

"You're finally ready, right?"

Dean was looking from Zachariah to me and Adam, both of us still coughing up blood.

"You know there's no other choice. There's never been a choice."

"Stop it," Dean told him. "Stop it right now!"

"In exchange for what?"

"Damn it, Zachariah. Stop it, please. I'll do it."

"I'm sorry. What was that?"

"Okay, yes. The answer is yes."

"Dean!" I gasped out.

"Do you hear me? Call Michael down, you bastard!"

Dean's voice broke toward the end of the sentence, and it made my heart clench in my chest.

"How do I know you're not lying?" Zachariah asked.

"Do I look like I'm lying?"

The angel turned his back to Dean, speaking in Enochian as he summoned Michael.

"Zodiredo... noco... aberamage... nazodpesade... He's coming."

I gave Dean a questioning look, tears pricking at the corners of my eyes, and he winked at me.

"Of course, I have a few conditions," he spoke.

"What?" Zachariah asked, turning back to Dean.

"The few people whose safety you have to guarantee before I say yes."

"Sure, fine. Make a list."

"But most of all... Michael can't have me until he disintegrates you."

"What did you say?"

"I said... before Michael gets one piece of this sweet ass... he has to turn you into a piece of charcoal."

"You really think Michael is gonna go for that?"

"Who's more important to him now? You... or me?"

Fear flashed in the angel's eyes as Dean got up in his face.