45|The Green Room

Dean's POV

"Dean? Dean! You listen to a word I said?"

"Yeah, I heard you," I said mechanically, keeping my back to Bobby. "I'm not calling him."

"Don't make me get my gun, boy," Bobby threatened.

I turned then, frustrated.

"We are damn near kickoff for Armageddon, don't you think we got bigger fish at the moment?"

My body was numb to the anger in my voice. They were both gone; first Ellie, now Sam. They both made their choice, decided they'd rather go off and do their own things than stay and fight together.

"I know you're pissed. And I'm not making apologies for what he's done, but he's your-"

"Blood?" I cut him off. "He's my blood, is that what you were gonna say?"

"He's your brother," Bobby corrected. "And he's drowning."

"Bobby, I tried to help him, I did. Look what happened."

"So try again."

"It's too late."

"There's no such thing."

"No, damnit! No. I gotta face the facts. Sam never wanted a part of this family. He hated this life growing up. Ran away to Stanford first chance he got. Now it's like déjà vu all over again," I sat down in the same spot Ellie had been in before she left. "Well, I'm sick and tired of chasing him. Screw him, he can do what he wants."

"You don't mean that," Bobby shook his head.

"Yes, I do, Bobby," I insisted. "Sam's gone. He's gone. I'm not even sure if he's still my brother anymore. If he ever was."

The old man turned away, leaning on the table as he fumed. After a moment, he made a big sweeping motion with his hands, sending books and papers to the ground. He advanced toward me and I stood up quickly.

"You stupid, stupid son of a bitch!" he raised his voice. "Well, boo hoo, I am so sorry your feelings are hurt, princess! Are you under the impression that family's supposed to make you feel good?! Bake you an apple pie, maybe? They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!"

"I told him, 'you walk out that door, don't come back' and he walked away anyway!" I yelled back. "That was his choice!"

"You sound like a whiny brat. No, you sound like your dad," Bobby spat, backing up. "Well, let me tell you something. Your dad was a coward."

"My dad was a lot of things, but a coward?" I asked.

"He'd rather push Sam away than reach out to him," he continued. "Well, that don't strike me as brave. You are a better man than your daddy ever was. So do us both a favor. Don't be him."

Instead of answering, I turned back to stare out the window again. After a moment, I turned to address Bobby once more, looking around in confusion. I was no longer in Bobby's house, instead finding myself in a pristine room with gold trim and accents. A marble table with a platter of burgers and a silver bowl of ice and beers sat in the middle of the room.

"Hello, Dean," a familiar voice sounded behind me.

I turned to see Castiel standing there. Behind him, on a white couch, sat Ellie.

"It's almost time," Cass continued.

Ellie's POV

"What is this place?" Dean asked me when Cass disappeared.

"Zachariah called it a green room," I shrugged. "He said it's where they're keeping me safe until I'm needed. Apparently, you're included in that now, too."

He turned away, poking around the room and examining the various oil paintings on the walls, much like I had when Zachariah first brought me here God knew how long ago.

"What's going on, by the way? Where's Sam?" I asked him.

"Gone. He left to find Lilith with the demon bitch he's been screwing."

"I thought he was locked in the panic room."

"Apparently, he found a way out."

Dean's tone was bitter and cold as he spoke. It made me wonder what argument the two of them had had that I missed.

"So... you're the big prize, huh? The angels are just going to deliver you to whoever wins like some gift basket?"

"Bobby told you about that?" I whispered.

"The question is, why didn't you?" he spat, rounding on me.

"I couldn't, Dean. I promised I wouldn't breathe a word of that conversation to you or Sam. I only told Bobby because I was having another freaking mental breakdown and couldn't keep it in anymore."

"Oh, that's rich," he rolled his eyes. "You actually listened to those flying asshats?"

"Don't you dare lecture me about listening to them, Dean. If I recall correctly, you were the one who signed up to be their bitch when they came knocking."

We were both on our feet, standing practically toe-to-toe while we argued.

"And what might we have here?"

I closed my eyes, clenching my jaw as I turned on my heel to look at the two angels who had just appeared in the room.

"Well how bout this?" Dean smirked. "The Suite Life of Zach and Cass."

The angels stared blankly at him and his smirk faltered.

"It's a... never mind."

"What do you want?" I spat.

"Just checking in," Zachariah shrugged. "You two should really eat something."

"Not hungry," Dean and I chorused.

"What's the game plan?" Dean asked before Zachariah could speak again.

"Let us worry about that. We want you... focused, relaxed."

"Well, I'm about to be pissed and leaving with Ellie, so start talking, Chuckles."

Zachariah sighed, giving in.

"All the seals have fallen. Except one."

"That's an impressive score," I scoffed.

"That's... that's right up there with the Washington Generals," Dean added.

"You think sarcasm's appropriate, do you? Considering... you started all this?"

Dean stiffened beside me as the angel continued.

"But the final seal... it'll be different."

"Why?" I growled.

"Lilith has to break it. She's the only one who can. Tomorrow night- midnight."

"Where?"

"We're working on it."

"Well, work harder," Dean glared.

"We'll do our job. You just make sure you do yours."

"Yeah, and what is that exactly? If I'm supposed to be the one who stops her, how? With the knife?"

"All in good time."

"Isn't now a good time?"

"Have faith."

"What, in you?" Dean scoffed. "Give me one good reason why I should."

Zachariah advanced on Dean, and I stepped out of his way as he got up in the hunter's face.

"Because you swore your obedience. So obey."

Dean glanced past Zachariah at Cass, who looked down guiltily.