103|The Titanic

Sam, Dean and I walked over to the black Mustang with brown stripes and loaded our gear in to head out.

"You know, maybe we should wait 'til she gets back," Sam suggested.

"She just called from the road," I shook my head, "said she'd be here in two shakes. You really want to sit around and smell him stew in his juices?"

"Yeah, yeah. Drive."

Dean didn't have to be told twice as we took off for Pennsylvania. When we got to the crime scene, Dean pulled out his EMF meter, but didn't get anything.

"Not a bleep," he muttered.

"Well, it's not a vengeful spirit then," I said. "So what is it?"

"Huh," Sam hummed, picking something up off the floor.

"What cha got?" I asked him. "What is that, Christmas tinsel?"

"I don't know," he said, rubbing it between his fingers. "It's gold."

"You mean, like, gold gold?" Dean raised an eyebrow.

"Why would a handyman have gold just lying around in his garage?"

"I don't know. There is definitely a skeleton in this family's closet. I mean, accidents don't just happen accidentally."

Sam and I both gave Dean a look.

"You know what I mean," he rolled his eyes.

"Alright, how about Ellie and I go check out family records while you go with next of kin?"

"Yeah," Dean nodded.

The Russos were clean, grandparents born in Calabria and emigrated in 1912. There were four generations of white picket fence, but nothing that would suggest a family curse. Dean said all he got was an asshat in a shiny suit. Then an Anne Witting died, who wasn't connected to the Russo family in any way, but we did find more gold thread at her crime scene like at the garage.

"So, we found another piece of this, I don't know, shiny string," I said into my phone, looking at the thread in Dean's hand.

"Oh, I was afraid of that," Ellen sighed.

"Why, what's up?"

"Oh, these so-called accidents- we're seein' them nationwide," Ellen explained. "About seventy-five so far. I got Jo and her crew working on a cluster in California."

"Hey, hey, hey," I heard Bobby protest in the background.

"Blood relatives?"

"Some yeah, some no. She's got about what you do- pile of bodies and a whole bunch of gold thread."

"So what's it mean?"

"I don't know. I got Bobby working on it right now."

"How is he, by the way?" I asked, glancing at Dean again.

He looked up, knowing I was asking about Bobby, and curious what Ellen would say.

"Oh, don't worry. I'm kicking his ass back to health and happiness."

"Who asked you?" Bobby grumbled in the background again. "To hell with you."

"I heard that," I said, raising an eyebrow.

"He'll be okay," Ellen assured me.

I mouthed the words to Dean, who nodded.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.