39|Stopping Lilith, The Winchester's Brother, and Something About Cass

I hung back, watching as Dean fumed, and was startled as he looked up at the sky and started praying.

"Well, I feel stupid doing this. But... I'm fresh out of options," he began. "So please. We need some help. I'm praying, okay? Come on. Please."

"Prayer is a sign of faith," Castiel said, appearing between Dean and I. "This is a good thing, Dean."

"So does that mean you'll help us?" Dean asked, hope lacing his tone.

"I'm not sure what I can do," the angel admitted.

"Drag Sam out of here, now. Before Lilith shows up."

"It's a prophecy. I can't interfere."

"You have tested me and thrown me every which way," Dean growled. "And I have never asked for anything. Not a damn thing. But now I'm asking. I need your help. Please."

"What you're asking, it's... not within my power to do."

"Why? Cause it's 'divine prophecy'?"

"Yes."

"So, what- We're just supposed to sit around and, and wait for it to happen?"

"I'm sorry," Castiel apologized.

"Screw you. You and your mission. Your God. If you don't help me now, then when the time comes and you need me... don't bother knocking."

Dean pushed past the angel, heading back toward me, but stopped as Castiel spoke once more.

"Dean. Dean."

"What?!"

"You must understand why I can't intercede. Prophets are very special. They're protected."

"I get that," Dean nodded.

"If anything threatens a prophet, anything at all, an archangel will appear to destroy that threat. Archangels are fierce. They're absolute. They're Heaven's most terrifying weapon."

"And these archangels, they're tied to prophets?"

Castiel nodded, glancing away.

"Yes."

"So if a prophet was in the same room as a demon-"

"Then the most fearsome wrath of Heaven would rain down on that demon. Just so you understand..." Cass looked back at Dean, "why I can't help."

"Thanks, Cass," Dean smiled a little.

"Good luck," the angel told us, disappearing.

After some convincing, we managed to get Chuck into the Impala and sped back to the motel, praying we weren't too late when we arrived. Chuck and Dean rushed ahead of me, getting inside the motel room. However, before I could follow, a hand grabbed onto my wrist and held me back. I turned to see Cass standing there.

"What the hell, Cass?" I hissed.

"You can't go in there."

"Why not?"

"We need you alive."

"Because I'm the prize, right? The big trophy for whoever wins this mess?" I spat.

We both looked over as a bright light began to shine inside the room Dean and Chuck had just entered.

"Let me help," I growled, trying to get out of the angel's grip.

"There's nothing you can do now, Ecclesia."

"Don't call me that. Not you, too."

"You were told because we believe you are ready to bear that knowledge, especially with what is coming next," Castiel continued. "I hope we did not make a mistake in telling you too early."

"Is it true?" I whispered. "Was Maddie doomed to die from the start?"

The angel swallowed, blue eyes flickering away from me before giving a curt nod.

"You should go. Before Sam and Dean see you and get suspicious."

"You must not tell them, Eleanor. You promised."

"I know, Cass. Now get your feathery ass out of here before they come back."

The angel let go of my wrist, flapping his large wings and vanishing. I looked back at the room, which no longer had a bright light inside as I felt tears start to form and fall down my cheeks. I wiped them away quickly before Sam and Dean could see.

The tarp still fluttered on the back window in the wind as we drove, and I gathered my jacket closer to my body in the backseat. Then, making a split second decision, I climbed over the seat to sit cross legged in between the two boys in the front. Dean gave me a pointed look before looking back out at the road.

"So a deal, huh?" he asked Sam.

"That's what she said," Sam replied.

"To call the whole thing off- angels, seals, Lucifer rising, the whole nine?"

"That was the gist of it."

"Huh," I grunted.

"What?" Sam inquired, turning to look over at Dean and I.

"You didn't think once about taking it?" I asked.

"You kidding me? Ellie, you two spent all day trying to talk me off the Lilith track."

"I'm just saying..." I muttered.

"She would have found some way to weasel out of it. And all it would have cost us was our lives."

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

"Anyway, that's not the point."

"What's the point?" Dean asked.

"The point is, she's scared," Sam said. "I could see it. Lilith is running."

"Running from what?"

"Don't know. But she was telling the truth about one thing."

"What's that?"

"She's not gonna survive the apocalypse. I'll make sure of that."

Dean and I exchanged a look as we drove on in silence.

A few days later, we got a call on one of John's old phones from someone claiming to be his son named Adam Milligan. We looked into it, and the kid checked out, though Dean remained skeptical for a long time. He called because his mom had been missing for a few days, and he wanted help looking into it. Sam went to talk to the police while Adam, Dean and I went back to his house.

Sam learned there was another case in town back in 1990 around the time Adam was born, which explained why John had been in town back then. Sam ended up breaking the news to Adam that we were really hunters, even though Dean was totally against it. Turned out, the thing that killed Adam's mother, and, as it turned out Adam as well, were ghouls.

We ended up giving Adam's corpse a hunter's funeral. The next night, I woke when Dean shot up in the bed next to me.

"Dean?" I asked him.

He didn't respond, throwing the blankets off and going over to his jacket that was hanging by the door.

"What's going on?" Sam asked groggily, waking up to the commotion.

"I don't know," I shook my head. "Dean, what-"

"We have to go," he said.

"Wait, what?"

"Get dressed. We have to hurry."

"Dean, what's going on?"

"It's Cass."

"What about Cass?"

"Just hurry up. We don't have much time."

Sam and I exchanged a look before also getting out of bed to get ready to head.