90|Diagnosing Sam

When we landed, we were in a clear green field full of wildflowers. Dozens of young angels were chasing each other and playing, while one young woman stood watch. Her vessel appeared to be about my age, with blonde hair and big blue eyes. Like Cass and the young angels around her, she sported the usual black wings that most angels had.

"Saraqael," Cass greeted her.

She turned to face us, smiling when she saw Maddie holding tightly to my hand.

"Castiel," she nodded. "Who might this be?"

"This is Maddie," I told her.

"We need you to look after her for a little while," Cass explained.

"My job is to look after the young angels, Castiel, not human children."

"Do you know who I am?" I asked before Cass could speak.

"Eleanor Dawson, the Ecclesia. You and those two brothers you spend time with ruined the apocalypse."

"Okay, if you know who I am, then you know that this is my daughter. I am asking you, please, look after her just for a little while. There are things I need to take care of, and I don't trust anyone else to keep her safe."

Saraqael and I stared at each other for a long moment, and then she nodded her assent.

"Very well. I will look after the child."

"Thank you."

I crouched down to speak to Maddie.

"Alright, Maddie, I'm going to leave you here with Sara, okay? I promise to go as fast as I can with Daddy."

"Okay, Mommy."

"I love you, darling," I told her, pulling her into a hug.

"I love you, too."

I straightened back up, pushing Maddie toward Sara.

"Hello, Maddie. Do you like dolls?" Sara asked her.

When my daughter nodded, the angel produced a doll from nothing and presented it to her. It looked exactly like Maddie, but it had a pair of black wings attached to its back.

"I'm an angel," Maddie smiled, taking the doll.

Forcing myself to turn away, I walked over closer to Cass.

"Take me to Dean."

Putting a hand on my shoulder once more, Cass flew me out of the nursery, taking me to find Dean.

When we arrived, Sam was tied in a chair unconscious and beat up.

"Oh, good, you... Ellie?"

"Hey, Dean," I greeted him.

"W-what are you doing here?"

"I had to come talk to you. Dean, I'm sorry. I didn't mean-"

"Didn't you?"

"What?"

Dean sighed, rubbing a hand over his face.

"I was cursed, Ellie. Everyone around me had no choice but to tell me the truth. And apparently, it worked over the phone, too. So are you really going to tell me you didn't mean what you said?"

I bit my lip, hesitating slightly.

"Alright, so maybe I meant it. But I want to figure this out, Dean. I want to find a way to make this work. That doesn't mean me being benched while you and Sam go off together."