32|Torture

"You can't stall forever," Dean said.

"John Winchester," Alastair's voice spoke, ignoring Dean, "made a good name for himself. A hundred years. After each session, I'd make the same offer I made you. I'd put down my blade, if he picked one up."

"Just give me the demon's name Alastair."

"But he said nein each and every time. Oh, damned if I couldn't break him."

There was no response from Dean as Alastair continued.

"Pulled out all the stops, but John, he was, well, made of something unique. The stuff of heroes. And then came Dean. Dean Winchester. I thought I was up against it again."

I wet my lips, eyes flicking over to Castiel, who's face remained expressionless. There was still no response from Dean as Alastair continued his rant.

"But Daddy's little girl, he broke. He broke in thirty. Oh, just not the man your Daddy wanted you to be, huh, Dean? Now. Now we're getting somewhere."

A moment later, the demon groaned in response to whatever Dean was doing.

"Holy water? Come on. Grasshopper, you're gonna have to get creative to impress me."

"You know something, Alastair?" Dean finally spoke. "I could still dream. Even in Hell. And over and over and over, you know what I dreamt? I dreamt of this moment."

I squeezed my eyes shut, eyes moist with tears that threatened to fall as I listened. Part of me wished I had just listened to Castiel when he tried to insist I didn't need to see or hear what was happening on the other side of the door.

"And believe me, I've got a few ideas," Dean continued. "Let's get started."

I flinched as a moment later, Alastair's screams met my ears.

"Oh, man. Ooh," Alastair panted a few minutes later.

"Let me know if you want some more," Dean said. "There's plenty left."

"Go directly to Hell," Alastair quipped. "Do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars."

A single tear made its way down my cheek and I bit down hard on my bottom lip to keep it from quivering as I swiped it away.

"There's that little pig-poker," the demon chuckled. "I wondered where it went. Do you really think this is gonna fix you? That is sad. That's really sad. Sad, sad."

There was a brief pause in the conversation before the tortured addressed the torturer again.

"I carved you into a new animal, Dean. There is no going back."

"Maybe you're right," Dean agreed. "But now it's my turn to carve."

"No!"

As Alastair's groans filled my ears once more, the lights began to flicker. I looked over at Castiel, who'd also noticed the flickering, and then the bulb exploded. My eyes widened as Anna appeared behind Castiel, now sporting a dark set of wings furled on her back, unlike the last time I'd seen her.

"Anna," Castiel addressed the other angel without turning.

"Hello, Castiel."

He turned then, seeming surprised.

"Your human body-" he began.

"It was destroyed, I know," Anna interrupted.

I quirked an eyebrow, wondering what exactly I'd missed after I ditched the group.

"But I guess I'm sentimental," she continued. "Called in some old favors and..."

I didn't hear the rest of her statement, distracted as Alastair became a bit louder once more.