65|Playing the Roles

Suddenly, the setting around us shifted, and we found ourselves in a game show-type setting. Me and another girl walked with a Japanese man through a set of doors, both of us wearing tight leather outfits that left little to the imagination. Sam and Dean, both wearing their usual style of clothing, were waiting on the other side of the doors. They both were strapped in shoes glued to platforms that had a slot for a pole with a large ball at the end.

"Let's play Nutcracker!" the host said.

The crowd in the stands cheered and applauded. To one side was an LED screen that said '20'. The host continued speaking in Japanese before pulling out a stack of cards from his jacket, silence falling.

"Sam Winchester," the host began, before asking a question in Japanese. "Countdown!"

He pointed over to the screen, which began to tick down the seconds.

"What?" Sam asked frantically. "Uh, what am I supposed to say?"

"You think I know?" Dean shrugged.

"Uh, I don't, I don't understand Japanese," Sam addressed the host.

The host repeated the question, still in Japanese.

"Is he screwing with me? I, I, I can't speak Japanese."

The screen hit '0' and a loud buzz sounded, the audience giving an audible groan. The host spoke in Japanese again.

"Ruby!" he finished. "I'm sorry, Sam Winchester."

"Sorry? Sir? For what?"

The host mimed hiding laughter. Back by the doors, the extra and I were just smiling as we watched, some force keeping me from being able to talk.

"Dean?" Sam looked over, freaking out.

The pole attached to Sam's platform came up so the ball hit him in the crotch. Dean stared, horrified while the crowd cheered.

"Nutcracker!" the host smiled, getting the crowd even more pumped up.

"Sam?" Dean called over.

The younger Winchester only made some inarticulate noise. The other girl said something in Japanese, and the host headed over to her, the pair doing some commercial for a bag of chips.

"You okay?"

Sam just looked over at Dean. The elder brother looked at Sam's platform, then his own, cringing. The light over the doors started flashing.

"Oh now what?" Dean groaned.

Castiel walked through the doors to lots of applause.

"Cass?" Dean asked.

"Is this another trick?" Sam added.

"It's me," the angel replied. "Uh, what are you doing here?"

"Us? What are you doing here?" Dean countered.

"Looking for you. You've been missing for days."

"So get us the hell out of here, then!"

"Let's go."

Castiel raised his arms to touch Sam and Dean, but vanished in a burst of static before he could make contact.

"Cass?" Dean looked around frantically.

"No, no, no, no," the host said, coming back to the front. "Mr. Trickster does not like pretty-boy angels."

He pulled out another card from his jacket, this time addressing Dean in Japanese.