42|Demon Problem

Dean's plan backfired. There were four extra demons who dragged us in where Jimmy, Claire and the possessed Amelia were waiting.

"Nice plan, Dean," I hissed at him.

"Yeah, well, nobody bats a thousand," Dean shrugged.

"Got the knife?" Amelia asked.

The demon holding Sam held it up to show her.

"And you know what's funny?" she continued.

"You wearing a soccer mom?" Dean quipped.

"Is I was actually bummed to get this detail," she said, ignoring the comment, "picking up an empty vessel. Sort of like a milk run. Now look who landed in my lap."

"Yeah, well, you got us, okay?" Sam said. "Let these people go."

"Oh, Sam," Demon Amelia mocked pitifully. "It's easy to act chivalrous when your Wonder Girl powers aren't working, huh? Now for the punchline. Everybody dies."

"No!" I shouted as she raised a gun, shooting Jimmy in the gut.

He fell to his knees and Amelia turned to face the extra demon.

"Waste Little Orphan Annie."

She walked out of the room, and while three of the demons kept their hold on us, the fourth moved around Jimmy heading toward Claire, who was still tied up and unconscious. My eyes widened as I realized a giant pair of black wings had appeared on her back. The demon picked up a pipe, swinging it toward Claire's head when she suddenly opened her eyes, grabbing the pipe with one hand and placing the other on the demon's forehead.

Using the distraction, Sam, Dean and I turned on the demons holding us. While we struggled against our demons, Claire, or rather Castiel, burned away the ropes binding her and approached Jimmy, who was staring up at her in horror.

"Castiel," he said.

Sam managed to get the knife from the demon he was fighting, slicing her throat while Dean and I were pummeled by the other two demons. Castiel came over, placing each of her hands on the two demons and exorcising them. All three of us looked over in horror to see Sam drinking from the other demon's neck. He looked over at us, mouth still bloody, and then turned back, stabbing the demon in the heart.

When he turned back to us once more, he stood up and held out his hand, just in time to catch Amelia and exorcise her using his newly recharged psychic powers. Dean held her up while we watched Castiel walk over to Jimmy, who was dying from his gunshot wound.

"Of course we keep our promises," Cass said, referencing an earlier conversation with Jimmy. "Of course you have our gratitude. You served us well. Your work is done. It's time to go home now. Your real home. You'll rest forever in the fields of the Lord. Rest now, Jimmy."

"No. Claire?" Jimmy strained.

"She's with me now. She's chosen. It's in her blood, as it was in yours."

"Please, Castiel. Me, just take me. Take me, please."

Blood stained Jimmy's lips and teeth as we approached the two, holding back a moment so they could continue to talk.

"I wanna make sure you understand," the angel said. "You won't age or die. If this last year was painful for you, picture a hundred, a thousand more like it."

"It doesn't matter. You take me. Just take me."

"As you wish."

A bright light emanated from Jimmy's mouth and eyes as Castiel touched his face. Claire, no longer with the wings, fell to her knees. Jimmy, who now housed Castiel once more based on the wings that were on his back, stood up and walked past Amelia to stand with Sam, Dean and I. Amelia rushed over to embrace Claire. She met Castiel's eyes, and then he turned to go.

"Cass, hold up," Dean stopped him. "What were you gonna tell me?"

"I learned my lessen while I was away, Dean," Cass said, voice lower than when the vessel was Jimmy. "I serve Heaven, I don't serve man, and I certainly don't serve you."

The angel walked away as we watched him go. A few hours later, we drove through the rain in silence. I was zoned out, lost in thoughts about everything that happened when Sam finally spoke.

"Alright, let's hear it."

"What?" Dean asked.

"Drop the bomb, man. You and Ellie saw what I did. Come on, stop the car, take a swing."

"I'm not gonna take a swing."

"Okay, then Ellie, you take a swing."

"I'm with Dean on this one."

"Then scream, chew me out."

"We're not mad, Sam," Dean said.

"Come on," Sam scoffed. "You're not mad?"

"Nope," I shook my head, popping the 'p'.

"Right. Look, at least let me explain myself."

"Don't. I don't care," Dean continued.

"Neither do I," I added.

"You don't care?" Sam repeated.

Dean looked over at him, then back at me in the mirror before focusing on the road.

"What do you want me to say, that I'm disappointed? Yeah, I am," Dean sighed. "But, mostly, I'm just tired, man. I'm done. Ellie and I both are. We're just done."

Sam's phone rang then, and he pulled it out, answering it.

"Hey, Bobby," he greeted the elder hunter.

Dean and I exchanged another look in the rearview mirror.

"What's going on?" Sam asked a moment later before hanging up.

"What'd he say?" Dean asked, already knowing the answer like me.

While Sam and Dean had escorted Amelia and Claire up to their house, I'd stayed back in the Impala and called Bobby to explain what had happened, per Dean's idea. He was supposed to call Sam two hours later once we were on the road and insist we get to his place ASAP. When we arrived, Bobby led us toward the basement, saying something about a big demon problem we had to deal with.

"Well, thanks for shaking tail," he said as we approached the panic room.

"Yeah, you got it," Dean replied.

Sam was in the lead, and was the one to open the door.

"Go on inside. I wanna show you something," Bobby lied.

Sam entered the room, but Dean and I hung back with Bobby for a moment, although the younger Winchester didn't realize at first.

"Alright," he said, back to the door. "So, uh, what's the big demon problem?"

He turned back, brow furrowing in confusion when he saw all of us standing outside the door.

"You are," Bobby said. "This is for your own good."

Bobby and Dean closed and latched the door and Sam approached the barred window.

"Guys? Hey, hey. What?"

Bobby reached out, latching the window shut as well.

"This isn't funny. Guys! Hey! Guys?" Sam continued yelling, voice carrying through the door.

We ignored him, walking away and up the stairs.