81|Sam Says Yes

I shivered in the alley where we'd parked. Bobby had followed us, going ahead to scope out the area while we waited.

"Demons," he announced, coming back. "At least two dozen of them. You were right- something's up."

"More than something," I replied, rubbing my arms to try and warm myself up despite the jacket I wore. "He's here. I know it."

Dean shed his own jacket, giving me the additional layer of warmth before walking over to unlock the trunk.

"I'll see ya around, kid," Bobby told Sam.

"See ya around," Sam replied.

The two hugged, and Bobby continued to speak into Sam's ear.

"He gets in... You fight him tooth and nail, you understand? Keep swingin'. Don't give an inch."

"Yes, sir."

Sam pulled back, looking to Cass next, and holding a hand out.

"Take care of these guys, okay?" he requested.

"That's not possible," Cass replied.

"Then humor me."

"Oh. I was supposed to lie," the angel realized. "Uh... sure. They'll be fine."

"Just- just stop... talking."

I was biting down hard on my lip as Sam pulled me into an embrace.

"You help Dean, okay? He's going to need you when this is over," he whispered in my ear.

I could only nod my head against him, unable to find my voice. Even though I was going with him and Dean in to see Lucifer, I knew he needed to say it to me. He made his way over to the trunk where Dean was waiting.

"You mind not watching this?"

Dean walked over to me, and I laced my fingers through his as we turned away from Sam. After a few minutes, the trunk slammed and Sam walked past us.

"Okay. Let's go," he breathed.

Dean and I exchanged a look before following him.

"Alright! We're here, you sons of bitches! Come and get it!" Sam yelled.

Three demons came outside.

"Hey, guys," Dean greeted them. "Is your father home?"

The demons each grabbed one of us, manhandling us inside and up to where Lucifer was waiting.

"Hey, guys," he said. "So nice of you to drop in."

The Impala, of course, has all the things other cars have... and a few things they don't. But none of that stuff's important. This is the stuff that's important. The army man that Sam crammed into the ashtray- it's still stuck there. The Legos Dean shoved into the vents- to this day, heat comes on and they can hear 'em rattle. 

When the boys picked up Ellie from her father's shop to help them track down John, her initials were added beside theirs, crudely carved into the back window deck, making the car as much hers as it was theirs. 

Even when Dean rebuilt her from the ground up, he made sure all these little things stayed, cause it's the blemishes that make her  beautiful. The Devil doesn't know or care what kind of car the boys drive.

Lucifer breathed on the window, drawing a pitchfork in the condensation.

"Sorry if it's a bit chilly," he apologized. "Most people think I burn hot. It's actually quite the opposite, right, Ecclesia?"

I swallowed hard, not responding. Dean, however, naturally had to make a quip of his own.

"Well, I'll alert the media."

Lucifer looked over at us then, his face covered in red sores.

"Help me understand something, guys. I mean, stomping through my front door is... a tad suicidal, don't you think?"

"We're not here to fight you," Sam informed him.

"No?" Lucifer raised an eyebrow. "Then why are you here?"

"I want to say 'yes'."

"Excuse me?"

Sam took a deep breath, closing his eyes. Behind us, all three demons dropped dead in flashes of light.

"Chock full of Ovaltine, are we?"

"You heard me. Yes."

"You're serious."

"Look, Judgement Day's a runaway train. We get it now. We just want off."

"Meaning?"

"Deal of the century," Sam explained. "I give you a free ride, but when it's all over, I live, he lives, Ellie-"

"Okay, can we please drop the telenovela?" the Devil interrupted. "I know you have the rings, Sam."

There was a beat of silence.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Sam lied.

"The Horseman's rings? The magic keys to my Cage?" Lucifer got up in Sam's face. "Ring a bell? Come on, Sam. I've never lied to you. The least you can do is pay me the same respect."

We were all silent, and my hand found Dean's once more as Lucifer continued.

"It's okay. I'm not mad. A wrestling match inside your noggin... I like the idea. Just you and me, one round, no tricks. You win, you jump in the hole. I win... Well, then I win. What do you say, Sammy?" he stepped in between Sam and I, speaking into Sam's ear. "A fiddle of gold against your soul says I'm better than you."

He pushed past us, but we didn't turn to face him quite yet.

"So he knows," Sam shot at Dean and I. "Doesn't change anything."

Sam-" Dean protested.

"We don't have any other choice."

"No," I sided with Dean.

"Yes," Sam said, addressing Lucifer.

With a smile, the Devil closed his eyes and a bright light emanated from him. I turned, burying my face in Dean's chest as he buried his face in my hair, both of us squeezing our eyes shut tight. When the light faded, Dean and I looked around to see both Lucifer's previous vessel and Sam motionless on the floor. In my shocked state, I didn't fully comprehend the white fluffy wings now attached to Sam's back.

I took the Horseman rings from the pocket of Dean's jacket that I was wearing, handing them to him. He threw them against the wall, where they stuck, and began uttering the incantation. A hole opened up in the wall where the rings were, air getting sucked into it and pulling debris and other loose items into it. Sam was starting to stir and Dean rushed over to him.

"Sammy!"

"Dean!"

"Sammy!"

"I can feel him," Sam groaned. "Oh, God!"

"You got to go now," Dean urged him. "Come on!"

He helped Sam to his feet.

"Go now, Sammy! Now!"

Sam walked toward the hole, taking some deep breaths while Dean and I clutched each other, watching with wide eyes. Suddenly, Sam stopped, smiling as he turned back to face us.

"I was just messing with you," Lucifer said, and the wings finally registered in my brain. "Sammy's long gone."

He turned, reciting the spell to close the hole back up before taking the rings for himself.

"I told you," he addressed us, "...this would always happen in Detroit."

With a flap of the giant wings, he was gone. I buried my face back into Dean's chest, both of us fighting back tears.