22|Leaving

We found where Anna's grace fell. There was a giant tree that sprung up practically overnight the night she fell in the middle of an otherwise empty field in Union, Kentucky. When we got there, however, Anna said her grace wasn't there anymore. We found an abandoned barn to hole up for a while while we made a plan.

"We still got the hex bags," Dean pointed out. "I say we head back to the panic room."

"What, forever?" Ruby countered.

"I'm just thinking out loud!" Dean shouted back.

"Oh, you call that thinking?"

"Hey! Hey, hey, hey. Stop it," Sam told them.

"Anna's grace is gone," Ruby pointed out. "You understand? She can't angel up. She can't protect us. We can't fight Heaven and Hell. One side maybe, but not both. Not at once."

"Dean Winchester gives us Anna by midnight, or we'll hurl him back to damnation."

I clutched my head, my heart racing at the words that kept repeating over and over again.

"Um... guys?" Anna called over timidly. "The angels are talking again."

"What are they saying?" Sam asked.

"It's weird... Like a recording... a loop. It says, 'Dean Winchester gives us Anna by midnight, or..."

"Or what?" Dean asked.

"'...or we hurl him back to damnation..." I finished softly.

"You hear it, too," Anna said, looking at me.

I didn't respond, staring at Dean sadly.

"Anna... Do you know of any weapon that works on an angel?" Sam inquired.

"To what? To kill them?" Anna asked back.

Sam nodded in confirmation.

"Nothing we could get to..." she shook her head, glancing briefly over at me. "Not right now."

"Okay, wait, wait," Dean said. "I say we call Bobby. Get him back from hedonism."

"Dean, what's he gonna tell us that we don't already know?" Sam challenged his brother.

"I don't know, but we gotta think of something!"

Sam and Ruby were off in a corner of the barn, talking with each other in low voices. Dean had disappeared out to the Impala to do research and Anna had slipped out to join him a few minutes earlier. I was just pacing near the front of the barn, running my hands through my long red curls as my mind raced. I was losing Dean... again. Tears started to form and make their way down my cheeks at the thought.

Unable to stay in the barn with just Sam and Ruby for company, I slipped outside. I didn't see Dean or Anna by the Impala, and as I got closer, I noticed the windows were fogged up. A hand pressed against the window closest to me, and I froze. My heart pounded as I turned on my heel and walked away from the car. I knew things were still a little odd between Dean and I, but I never thought that he'd...

I shook my head to clear it. Not wanting to head back into the barn, I walked off into the dark. I wandered around for a couple hours, and then headed back. Instead of going inside, I opened up the trunk of the Impala and grabbed my backpack of supplies as well as Dean's wad of cash he'd snaked in a game of pool a week earlier. Taking a deep breath, I headed off once more in the direction of town. I got on a bus and started the long, three day journey.

I had turned off my GPS and powered down my phone on bus number one. I didn't want Sam or Dean coming after me. Several hours and two more buses later, I was walking into a dark blue house with white trim.

"Honey, I'm home," I called softly when I came up behind the man inside.

The spoon he'd been using to stir the soup for dinner clattered to the counter as he whirled around to face me. Brigham looked exactly like he did on the night I'd left him.

"Ellie Bellie," he breathed.

"Hi, Brigham," I smiled.

Brigham crossed over to me in two strides, wrapping his arms around my waist and kissing me deeply. I responded readily, wrapping my arms around his neck and putting everything I could into the kiss.

"Wait," Brigham paused, pulling back slightly. "What... Why are you here?"

"Do I really need an excuse to come see you?"

"Eleanor."

I sighed, stepping out of his arms.

"Dinner smells amazing," I attempted to change the subject again.

Eleanor, what happened?"

I pushed past him, moving to grab the dishes out of their cupboards in order to set the table for dinner.

"Eleanor Willow Dawson, what the hell is going on?"

"Can't we talk about this later, Brigham. I've been traveling on buses for three days, I haven't eaten since noon yesterday and I'd like to take a shower and get some rest as soon as I have some food in my belly. That a problem?"

Brigham studied me quietly with his blue eyes and then moved back over to the stove to finish cooking.

"It was something with Dean, wasn't it?"

"Brigham, I don't want to talk about this right now."

"But it was something with Dean."

I didn't respond, carrying the two bowls and spoons over to the dining room table. I debated briefly pulling my phone out and turning it on, just to check it, but decided against it. I didn't want to see the dozens of missed calls and texts from the Winchester brothers.

"Soup's up," Brigham announced, placing the pot on the table. 

Dinner passed in dead silence. When I'd finished, I headed in the direction of the bedroom and slung my pack on the bed. Getting one of the changes of clothes I'd left behind when I'd left in September, I slipped into the en suite bathroom to shower. I let the three days of sweat and travel wash away under the steady stream of hot water. I knew I shouldn't have left with no warning to Sam and Dean, but between the angel's ultimatum and walking up to where Dean and Anna were having sex in the Impala, I couldn't handle being there any more.