72|Quite the Pair

"Famine?" I repeated. "As- as in the horseman?"

"Great," Dean grumbled. "Th-th-that's freaking great."

"I thought famine meant starvation," Sam pointed out, "as in, you know, food."

"Yes. Absolutely," Cass nodded, grabbing another burger from his bag. "But not just food. I mean, everyone seems to be starving for something- sex, attention, drugs, love..."

'Death,' I thought.

"Well, that explains the puppy-lovers that Cupid shot up," Dean said.

"Right. The cherub made them crave love, and then Famine came, and made them rabid for it."

"Okay, but what about you?" I asked the angel. "I mean, since when do angels secretly hunger for White Castle?"

"It's my vessel, Jimmy," Cass explained. "His, uh, appetite for red meat has been touched by Famine's effect."

"So, Famine just rolls into town and everybody goes crazy?" Dean inquired.

"'And then will come Famine riding on a black steed. He will ride into the land of plenty, and great will be the Horseman's hunger, for he is hunger. His hunger will seep out and poison the air.'"

Cass looked over at us from his seat at the table.

"Famine is hungry. He must devour the souls of his victims."

"So, that's what was in the briefcase-- The Twinkie dude's soul?" Dean asked, referencing the latest death.

"Lucifer has sent his demons to care for Famine, to feed him, make certain he'll be ready."

"Ready for what?" Sam asked.

"To march across the land."

Sam escaped to the bathroom, cooling his face with a wet washcloth.

"Famine?" Dean asked again.

"Yes," Cass replied through a mouthful of cheeseburger.

"So, what, this whole town is gonna eat, drink and screw itself to death?" I inquired.

I didn't hear Cass's response, because as soon as the word 'death' passed through my lips, the switchblade in my pocket became really heavy and I glanced down, subtly moving my arm and studying the blue veins snaking just underneath my skin. How easy would it be to take out my knife and just-

"Whatever. Guys, let's roll," Dean said.

"Dean... I, um... I can't. I can't go," Sam said, coming out of the bathroom.

"What do you mean?"

"I think it got to me, Dean. I think I'm hungry for it..."

"Hungry for what?"

"You know."

"Demon blood?"

Sam hung his head in shame. I resisted scoffing and rolling my eyes. I knew the demon blood issue was a real problem for Sam, and I didn't doubt that he was having a hard time. But if they knew what Famine was making me hunger for...

"You got to be kidding me," Dean turned to Castiel. "You got to get him out of here. You got to beam him to, like, Montana. Anywhere but here."

"It won't work. He's already infected. The hunger is just gonna travel with him."

"Well, then, what do we do?"

"You go cut the bastard's finger off," Sam said.

"You heard him," Cass said when Dean looked from his brother to the angel.