83|The End

Castiel appeared next to Dean, who was on his knees in front of the Horsemen's rings. I was still sitting with Bobby's head cradled in my lap, the tears having subsided, leaving glistening tracks in their wake.

"Cass, you're alive?" Dean asked, looking up at the angel.

"I'm better than that."

Cass touched Dean's forehead, and his wounds instantly healed. The hunter stood up.

"Cass, are you God?"

"That's a nice compliment, but no. Although I do believe he brought me back. New and improved."

The angel walked over to me, leaning down and touching Bobby's forehead in my lap, resurrecting him.

"There's something else," Cass said, looking to me.

He waved a hand, and at first, I wasn't sure what he'd done. And then, I saw her. A young girl, just over two years old with red curls and bright green eyes, stood a step behind Dean.

"Maddie," I breathed, fresh tears springing to my eyes.

Dean turned to look as the toddler fixed me with a toothy grin. Then she was making her way over to me unsteadily on her chubby little feet and suddenly I was embracing my baby girl, still kneeling in the dead grass of the cemetery.

Endings are hard. Any chapped-ass monkey with a keyboard can poop out a beginning, but endings are impossible. You try to tie up every loose end, but you never can. The fans are always gonna bitch. There's always gonna be holes. And since it's the ending, it's all supposed to add up to something. I'm telling you, they're a raging pain in the ass.

I sat in the back of the Impala, cradling my sleeping daughter to my chest. Dean and Cass sat in the front, talking quietly.

"What are you gonna do now?" Dean inquired.

"Return to Heaven, I suppose," Cass shrugged.

"Heaven?"

"With Michael in the Cage, I'm sure it's total anarchy up there."

"So, what, you're the new sheriff in town?"

"I like that. Yeah. I suppose I am," Cass smiled.

"Wow. Give you a brand-new, shiny set of wings, and suddenly you're his bitch again."

"I don't know what God wants. I don't know if he'll even return. It just... seems like the right thing to do."

"Well, if you do see him, you tell him I'm coming for him next."

"You're angry."

"That's an understatement," Dean grumbled.

"He helped. Maybe more than we realize."

"That's easy for you to say. He brought you back. But what about Sam? What about me, huh? Where's my grand prize? All I got is my brother in a hole!"

Maddie stirred slightly in my arms and I glared up at Dean in the rearview mirror. His eyes immediately softened slightly, realizing what he'd just said. When he looked over at Cass, it was to find that the passenger seat was empty.

"Well, you really suck at goodbyes, you know that?"

This is the last Ellie, Dean, and Bobby will see of each other for a long time.

We took turns hugging Bobby outside his house before climbing into the Impala and driving off again. Maddie was strapped into her new car seat in the back while Dean and I sat up front.

And, for the record, at this point next week, Bobby will be hunting a rugaru outside of Dayton. But not Dean and Ellie. Dean didn't want Cass to save him. Every part of him, every fiber he's got, wants to die, or find a way to bring Sam back. But he isn't going to do either. Because, he and Ellie both made a promise.

We made a pitstop at a motel once Dean couldn't keep his eyes open any more. Unbuckling Maddie, I clutched her to my chest, making sure she didn't wake as I carried her into the room Dean had rented for us. Once she was settled under the covers of one of the beds, I joined him on the couch. He put an arm around me as I curled into his side, both of us staring numbly at the bed.

So, what's it all add up to? It's hard to say? But me, I'd say this was a test... for Sam, Dean, and Ellie. And I think they did alright. Up against good, evil, angels, devils, destiny, and God himself, they made their own choice. They chose family. And, well... isn't that kinda the whole point?

No doubt- ending's are hard. But then again... nothing really ends, does it?