5|Demons and the Motel

Bobby had went with Pamela to the hospital. A couple hours had passed and Sam, Dean and I were now in a little diner. Sam was on the phone getting an update from Bobby while Dean and I waited at a table. I was still trying to wrap my brain around everything that I'd learned in a short period of time. I could feel Dean's gaze boring a hole in me again as he ordered from the waitress.

"Be up in a jiff," she informed him, walking away.

Sam walked over, finishing up the phone call.

"You bet," he said, hanging up.

"What'd Bobby say?" Dean asked.

"Pam's stable. And out of the I.C.U."

"And blind because of us," I muttered.

"And we still have no clue what we're dealing with," Sam added.

"That's not entirely true," Dean pointed out.

"No?"

"We got a name," he shrugged. "Castiel, or whatever. With the right mumbo-jumbo we could summon him, bring him right to us."

"You're crazy," I said, fully looking at him for the first time in a while. "Absolutely not."

"We'll work him over," Dean continued. "I mean, after what he did?"

"Pam took a peek at him and her eyes burned out of her skull, and you want to have a face to face?" I hissed.

"You got a better idea?" he challenged me.

My hand flew up to my necklace and I glanced away from him, not saying anything.

"I got one," Sam piped up. "I followed some demons to town, right?"

"Okay," Dean spoke slowly.

"So, we go find them. Someone's gotta know something about something."

The waitress came back over with plates of pie, placing them down on our table.

"Thanks," Sam told her without looking.

She plopped down in a chair at the end of the table. Dean looked over at her, smirking.

"You angling for a tip?" he asked.

"I'm sorry," she smirked. "I thought you were looking for us."

Her eyes flashed black, and glancing around showed that a uniformed man by the counter and the cook behind the counter also sported the demon eyes. The uniformed man walked over to the door and locked it, standing guard in front of it so we couldn't escape. The waitress's eyes returned to normal as she addressed Dean once more.

"Dean. To Hell and back. Aren't you a lucky duck."

"That's me," Dean agreed cockily.

"So you get to just stroll out of the Pit, huh?" she continued. "Tell me. What makes you so special?"

"I like to think it's because of my perky nipples," he quipped. "I don't know. Wasn't my doing, I don't know who pulled me out."

No, but I did...

"Right. You don't."

"No. I don't."

"Lying's a sin, you know," the waitress informed him.

"I'm not lying. But I'd like to find out, so if you wouldn't mind enlightening me, Flo..."

"Mind your tone with me, boy. I'll drag you back to Hell myself."

Sam, who'd been glaring daggers at the waitress throughout the entire exchange, shifted as if to attack. Dean held up a hand to stop him, and I grabbed his arm for good measure, forcing him to settle back in his chair.

"No, you won't," Dean challenged her.

"No?" the demon cocked an eyebrow.

"No. Because if you were, you would have done it already. Fact is, you don't know who cut me loose. And you're just as spooked as we are. And you're looking for answers. Well, maybe it was some turbo-charged spirit. Or, uh, Godzilla. Or some big bad boss demon. I'm guessing at your pay grade that they don't tell you squat. Because whoever it is, they want me out. And they're a lot stronger than you. So, go ahead. Send me back. But don't come crawling to me when they show up on your front doorstep with some Vaseline and a fire hose."

"I'm going to reach down your throat and rip out your lungs," the demon threatened.

Dean leaned toward her, a challenge in his eyes. He threw a right hook at her, which she took. He threw another, and still all she did was sit there glaring at us and looking more and more nervous.

"That's what I thought," Dean smirked. "Come on, guys."

We all stood while the demon remained seated, fuming. Dean pulled out a roll of cash and peeled off a ten, holding it up before dropping it on the table in front of her like an insult.

"For the pie," he informed her.

We exited the diner and hurried across the lot to the Impala, moving tense and quick.

"Holy crap, that was close," Dean breathed.

"We're not just going to leave them in there, are we, Dean?" Sam demanded.

"Well, yeah, there's three of them, probably more, and we've only got one knife between us," Dean pointed out.

"I've been killing a lot more demons than that lately."

"Not any more- the smarter brother's back in town."

"Dean, we've gotta take 'em. They are dangerous."

"They're scared. Okay? Scared of whatever had the juice to yank me out. We're dealing with a bad mofo here. One job at a time."

Dean insisted on taking the couch and letting Sam and I have the beds in the motel room we got. I woke up in the middle of the night, looking over. Sam's bed was empty while Dean was sleeping on the couch. Slipping quietly from the bed, I creeped over to him. His face was drawn as if he wasn't sleeping peacefully. There was a furrow between his brow that only showed up when he was worried about something. I could make out part of the brand peeking out of his sleeve and bit my lip, reaching out to touch it.

Before I could, however, the television flicked on with static and the radio started to whine as well. I backed away from Dean, looking over just as he stirred. After rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he grabbed a shotgun by the bed. He glanced at Sam's empty bed, then over to me. I shrugged as a ringing noise that used to precede anything the angel said to me started up. Dean grabbed his right ear, refusing to let go of the shotgun, but I made no move to drown out the sound, looking up instead.

"Ellie!" Dean yelled, lunging at me just as the mirror on the ceiling shattered.

He shielded my body with his from the shards, caging me in while continuing to cover his ears. The rest of the glass in the room shattered explosively and I began to make out the voice that accompanied the ringing, vaguely aware of Dean's screams above me. The door flew open and Bobby came in as more glass shattered.

"Dean! Ellie!" he shouted.