Chapter 8 - Foreclosure Task Force Meeting

...

Though the girls made it back to Abydos safe and sound, in Abydos' medical room, a certain catgirl is distraught. Or perhaps more accurately, confused.

Not from the kidnapping, or the fighting, but rather her Sensei.

As she sits on the medical room's bed, she holds her knees to her chest, her mind racing.

'Why would he go so far for someone he met just a few days ago?' She thought, completely confused. 'He was smiling. He was genuinely happy that he had saved me, even though he was wounded.'

She didn't even realize that he was injured until she was woken up upon reaching the school, noticing that he had taken a bullet to the arm and ripped off his sleeve to stop the bleeding.

"I'm glad to see you're alright, Serika."

That was what he had said as he saw her. Yet the poor girl is unable to forget those words he said while smiling.

She merely clutched her knees tighter to her chest confused by her strange feelings, and sat there by her lonesome.

—————

In the Foreclosure Task Force room, Ayane began to properly doctor me up then and there. My makeshift tourniquet had stopped the bleedling, but it was still a lot of blood lost in a short time. She and the others were a bit worried about all of the scars, but none of them asked, thankfully.

"Honestly, Sensei. Why did you run straight into enemy fire?" The elf girl admonishes me.

"I knew I could handle it." I shrug with my good arm.

"But you had the other girls with you, why didn't you get them to help?" She chastises once again.

I remain silent, trying to think of a reason. Then it clicks. "I guess... I've been in lots of fights on my own, with no one to help, so... I guess I ignored the fact that I could have someone helping me." The four girls look at me, almost in shock. "I knew you girls had each others' backs, but not mine, for one reason or another. Sorry." I say, embarrassed.

"That's no good, Sensei!" Nonomi shouts. "You said you were going to have our backs, right? Well that goes both ways!" My eyes widen at this.

Shiroko lets out a hum of agreement.

"You can't do everything on you own, Sensei. Remember?" Hoshino asks.

Right, I said that to them before... "Yeah, I do. Sorry, you guys."

"It's fine, Sensei. Just don't forget we care about you too!" The blonde haired girl says happily.

Huh... I suppose I forgot what it was like to have people care about you... It's been so long since...

No, I need to move on from those messes.

"Thanks y'all." I say with a smile.

"By the way." Ayane begins. "I asked Arona-san to look into the tank you all fought against."

"What did she find?" I ask.

"It turns out they were from an illegal model that is prohibited in all of Kivotos. I'll have to dig a little deeper, but right now it looks like the Helmet Gang has gained access to weapons that should be contraband." Ayane explains.

"I bet we can find out who those hooligans answer to if we analyze the distribution channels for these parts!" Nonomi points out.

"Bingo. We'll also hopefully find out why a minor criminal organization is targeting our school so obsessively..." The elf girl trails off.