Chapter 70 - An Urgent Request: Tea Party

...

If I had known of what was to come, I would have never gone to Trinity.

Oh, who am I kidding, I definitely would have.

—————

Dreams...

Dreams are odd little things.

They're involuntary. Sometimes they're nice, sometimes they're not.

They're just bullshit our minds have made up.

But what if they weren't the result of our minds?

This was the case when I dreamed of a petite fox girl with golden ears who I had never seen before.

Either my mind has made her up, or...

She spoke to me in a polite, light voice.

"The Eden Treaty is a promise to put an end to hatred, so to speak."

This small girl, clad in a pretty white dress, making her look like a doll, spoke to me.

Even though I couldn't respond, I listened intently.

"It's a pact to cease the long-standing rivalry between Gehenna and Trinity."

She closes her eyes.

I can make out buildings around me.

"In other words, it's an effort to build trust in the place of hatred that would only continue to fester if left alone."

Her golden eyes open again, staring at me as she continues.

Are we high off the ground? This building seems rather fancy.

"You can think of it as a peace treaty between Gehenna and Trinity."

Why is she speaking of the treaty?

"However, now that the General Student Council president, the one who drafted the treaty in the first place, has gone missing, the pact is worthless."

A small, white bird flutters over and lands on her dainty shoulder.

"Eden is the name of paradise from ancient scriptures. It's beyond me why she chose it to begin with. Perhaps it was because she had a sick sense of humor."

The small girl turns around and faces the night sky, stars glittering like diamonds.

"Are you aware of the seven pervasive questions in Kivotos?"

Seven questions? Only thing I can think of are the Millennium Prize Problems from back home.

"The fifth one relates to paradise."

Oh, so they're philosophical questions.

'Can we prove that anyone has ever reached paradise?'

"Like each of the seven questions, it's intent is vague, but it can be interpreted as referring to the inherent paradox in proving the existence of paradise."

The girl tilts her head up, looking at those strange rings in the Kivotos sky.

"If paradise exists, then the ones who reach it will remain there for eternity, forever enveloped in joy and satisfaction. If someone does leave paradise, it's because they weren't fully satisfied, so it was never a paradise for them. Therefore, those who reach paradise cannot be found- and should not exist- outside of paradise."

Yeah, real head-scratcher there.

People want to go to a paradise, sure, but they'd get bored with everything going right for them.