Chapter 43 - Return to the Ruins

...

Ah, the ruins in the outskirts of Millennium...

"Oh, wow, this place still sucks." I say dryly, as the four gamer girls and I stand before the grey, dreary ruins.

"Sensei! Get down!" Momoi shouts.

Suddenly, an explosion rings out, knocking us all to our feet. A small horde of robots have appeared from out of nowhere, again. "What was that?!" I shout as the five of us huddle behind some rubble.

"Some kinda grenade!" The pink twin says.

"Is everyone okay?" Yuzu asks, frantic.

"I'm good." Momoi says.

"I'm fine. Are you okay, Sensei?" Midori asks.

"Just fine." I say, peeking over the rubble.

"If the robots keep coming like this, then...!" The red haired girl says, frantic.

"Don't worry, Yuzu." I say, hoping to calm the poor girl. "Look around, we're in an alley." I point out, causing the girls to realize the space we're in is quite narrow. "Aris." I say, causing our robot friend to turn to face me. "It's your time to shine." I say with a grin.

Aris nods her head with a determined face. "Today Aris' role is... light-type AOE DPS..." She says, standing up as she pulls switches and presses buttons on her railgun, after slinging from her back. "Targeting front line threats." The railgun emits a reddish light after a moment... "Blinding Light!"

With that declaration, a massive 'beam of light' plows through the robots, tearing a hole clean through those that don't get completely destroyed in that instant.

"I-It worked!" The pink twin cheers.

"That was amazing!" The green twin adds.

"C-Cancel the victory animation, they're still coming!" The red haired girl alerts, as, sure enough, more robots are marching towards us.

"There's more...?" Midori asks with wide eyes. "We should run away or Sensei will be in danger..."

"There's only one way forward, and they're blocking it." I point out. "Plus, you girls haven't seen me put in much effort yet." I say as I stand up and crack my knuckles.

"Sensei's right." Momoi says, surprisingly. "We can't keep running away. We have to break through."

"What are you saying?!" Midori shouts.

"If we retreat here, we'll never get another chance. Now that the battle's begun, the robots will never stop coming." Momoi explains, serious. "This is our only chance to get into the factory and go to where the G.BIBLE should be."

"B-But, Momoi..." Midori tries to argue.

"We can do it." Aris says, with a soft smile.

"Huh? But how?!" Midori asks, frantic.

"As a team of four, we have explored twenty-seven dungeons and carried out one hundred and thirty-nine successful raids." Aris begins. How many games did they play last night?! "If we are together, there is nothing we cannot do."

"You think we can win a gun fight because we're good at an MMO?!" Midori shouts.

"It's risky, but I-I won't give up here." Yuzu adds with a nervous, yet determined expression.

"But what about Sensei? We might be okay, but Sensei could be in a lot of danger!" Midori asks.

"Hmph. If anything, those bastards are the ones in danger." I say, before looking straight at Midori. "I wasn't expecting so many of 'em last time, but now? Now, I'm ready." I say with a savage grin, pulling my rifle from my back.