Chapter 19 - Down Time VI

...

The day after my morning excursion with Shiroko, I was swamped with work in the morning. I powered through and finished it quickly. With it still morning, albeit barely, I walk to the Problem Solver office to deliver some documents.

On the way there, I was pleasantly surprised as I found that Hina texted me.

Sensei, will you be free this afternoon?

I'll be done with my work for the day by then.

We can do another time if you need.

No, that'll do. I'll swing by this afternoon.

Pocketing my phone, I reach my destination. I knock on the office's door. A moment later, it opens to reveal Kayoko. "Sensei?"

"Mornin', Kayoko. I came by to bring you girls some papers." I explain, holding up said documents.

"I see. Come in." She says, allowing me inside. "I would have done some cleaning if I knew you were going to come here."

"The others not here?" I ask, sitting the papers down on Aru's desk.

"They'll be coming by later. We were up late last night doing some work." She explains.

"You okay? I know how bad it is to run on little sleep." I ask, worried.

"I'm fine. I never get a lot of sleep." She waves me off. "That's why I usually get here first and clean the office."

I didn't get much sleep for the past five years. A full night's sleep was practically a godsend.

"Well, it's nice of you to clean the office, but you oughta get a full night of sleep sometimes." I chastise the punk girl.

She lets out a chuckle and smiles at me. "You really are a nice person, Sensei."

"Thanks." I say, awkwardly. "Still, wouldn't it be easier if you waited for the others so y'all could get done faster?"

"I guess it would be..." She trails off. "I dunno. They'd probably think I was being to bossy if I said we should clean together. Besides, it'd be a pain in the ass. Aru and Haruka do a decent job of cleaning up after themselves, so that makes it easier. As for Mutsuki..." She cringes a bit. "I'm good doing it solo rather than asking for help."

"Then, why don't I help?" I offer.

"Were you not listening to a work I said, Sensei?" She asks, a bit upset. "This is Problem Solver's problem. It has nothing to do with you. Are you trying to keep me in your debt or something?"

"When have you ever been in my debt?" I ask, confused. "I was just offerin' my help."

This throws her for a loop. "But... Never mind. Arguing over something like this is stupid. I'm not usually the one to go ask for help, but I know it doesn't make sense to turn it down if someone offers." She then makes a thoughtful expression. "It's not all that different from how Problem Solver operates now that I think about it." She says, letting out a small chuckle. She then smiles a beautiful smile. "All right then, you can take care of the heavy lifting."

"Can do." I say, with a smile.

And so, I spent the rest of my morning helping Kayoko clean their office.

—————

After leaving the Problem Solver office, I head straight for Gehenna Academy. Strangely enough, we ended up meeting in the slums this time.

"Hello, Sensei." Hina says politely.

"First, near the black market, now the slums? I thought next time would be your office." I point out.