Chapter 94 - Various Obstacles

...

With some help from Arona, I got a view of the Mouryo via various cameras within the district.

"This way!" I say, prompting us to turn a corner. I just watched Shizuko let them go. It seems like she and Pina have fallen for Niya's trick, thankfully.

"Izuna will never allow them to get away!" The fox declares. However, we come to a stop when Shizuko giggles proudly- sounding like an evil villain-, her and Pina blocking our way.

"Not so fast!" The short brunette declares.

"You may not pass!" The blonde adds, seeming like she's really enjoying this.

"Huh?" Michiru blinks.

"Wow! I knew this performance was gonna be popular, but I didn't think Sensei would participate too... Or a bunch of ninja girls, for that matter..." Shizuko muses. "What a fun surprise!"

"Well, it seemed like it'd be fun." I shrug.

"And how sad! For our one-time comrades against the evil lord Date Meowru to become our enemies!" Pina bemoans. "A vigilante's path is so sad! So cruel!"

"Who's this Meowru guy?" Iroha asks.

"Just a mess we had to deal with a while back." I shrug.

"Izuna and Aruji-dono kicked his butt!" Izuna adds.

"Aren't you in the Momoyodou? Why would you be getting in our way? Don't tell me... are you working with the mouryo?" Michiru asks, seeming to forget this is a PERFORMANCE.

"Oh! I recognize you now." Shizuko says. "You're the weirdo leader who plays ninja with Izuna all day!"

"Who're you calling a weirdo?!" The tanuki snaps.

"Honestly, normal is kinda boring." I comment. "Plus, everyone in Kivotos is kinda weird."

"Huh? You think we're weird too?" Shizuko asks, upset.

"I-I-I know all about the Momoyodou!" Tsukuyo chimes in. "It's a terrifying place where they subject you to m-maniacal and disturbing service... then they s-slap you with an astronomical bill!"

"A ninja won't be tricked by the seedy underbelly of the industry like you!" Izuna adds.

"You have it totally wrong! Where did you even hear that?!" Shizuko snaps.

"Clumsy airheaded idol?" I remind, raising an eyebrow and crossing my arms.

Shizuko has the decency to look away. "Ugh! I'm just in charge of the first obstacle!"

"Obstacle...?" Iroha asks.

"You mean the trial for the performance?" Michiru asks. How did she not get that?

"Yes, welcome to the first trial!" The small brunette smiles. "This one is called the Face and the Bodyguard! And I, the star and owner of Momoyodou, Kawawa Shizuko, am its gatekeeper!"

"Me too! I'm Asahina Pina!" The blonde adds.

"Aren't you wondering why they chose me as the gatekeeper for the first obstacle?" Shizuko asks with a prideful giggle. "I'll get right to the point! Because I, Shizuko, as the face of Momoyodou, am the perfect choice to be the very first face that greets you in this adventure!"

"...Should Izuna laugh now?" Izuna cluelessly asks.

"Waaaah?!" Shizuko cries. "Forget it! I don't need your pity laughs anyway! I don't need a script either. Let me start over... You brave warriors who have come to rescue the kidnapped princess, I am Shizuko, the face of Momoyodou!"