Chapter 39 - An Urgent Request: Game Development Department

...

The day after my excursion with Kaede and practice date with Tsurugi, Arona popped up on a screen as I worked.

"Sensei!" Arona chirps.

"What's up?" I ask, not looking away from my paperwork.

"We've received another request." My tiny AI pal says.

"Oh?" I ask, stopping my work to turn around and look at her. "From who?"

"Millennium! The sender is... the Millennium Game Development Department?" She... asks? "Hmm... I'll read it. 'The Game Development Department is fighting for its survival. The Student Council has us cornered, and you're our only hope. Please, warrior, save us!' " As she finishes reading it, she lets out a small giggle. "This is the most urgent yet funniest request we've ever received."

"Huh, I haven't been by Millennium in a long while, aside from that visit with Himari." I say, as I stand up and stretch.

"Oh, right. That's where Yuuka goes." Arona says.

"Yup. I haven't seen the girl in a while though..." I say.

"Well, maybe you can visit her while you're there." My AI pal says, with a smile.

"Hopefully." I say with a chuckle. "Anything you know about the place that I don't?"

"Well, it's one of the three biggest academies in Kivotos." Arona explains.

"The other two are Trinity and Gehenna, right?" I ask.

"Correct! They don't have the long history of the two more traditional academies, but their influence over Kivotos is just as great." Arona explains. "It's full name is the Millennium Science School. They value rationality and technology more than any other school in Kivotos. It's a place where students that specialize in science and engineering can gather in the name of research."

"Makes sense, that place looked futuristic when I first went." I say, remembering my first visit.

"Millennium is also where the latest and most cutting-edge technologies in Kivotos typically get their start. I wonder what would cause the students to request our help...?" Arona asks, finishing her explanation.

They make technology huh...? Maybe I could get Arona out of that tablet for a while...

"Dunno. But I'm gonna go figure it out." I say, picking up said tablet. "Looks like we've got work to do."

"Right!" Arona chirps, agreeing with me as she disappears from the monitor and reappears on the tablet.

Time to get suited up.

—————

So, I made my way to Millennium, assault rifle on my back and pistol on my hip. It still looks as hi-tech as ever. The buildings are all white with big windows, many of which have solar panels on top. The place is very symmetrical, all of the plots of land, as well as the roads and small moats are designed with edges, there isn't a corner to be seen. The main building is in the center of the campus, and is essentially a skyscraper.

My destination is one of the smaller buildings, though.

As I reach what my research tells me is the building where the Game Dev girls are at, I hear a feminine yell from above. Looking up, I see something fly out of an open window, falling right towards me.

Raising my hands up, I gently catch it by grasping it with my fingers, then spinning my body slightly, before stopping. If it had landed on my palms, it would've broken.

Observing the object, I find it's a game console. Looking at where the window is, I make my way inside.

I make my way up some stairs and go to knock on a door. I can hear two girls yelling at each other within, but my knock silences them. After a moment, the door opens, revealing to near-identical girls.