Chapter 73 - Magician & Sister Event: Epilogue

...

After the startling message received from the cathedral, Ui flicks on the main lights of the library, as Hinata looks ready to cry.

"I owe both of you an apology." Hinata says. "You both worked so hard to help me. I can't believe this is happening..."

"Why the hell would they change the schedule, especially at such short notice?" I all but growl out, trying to figure this out.

"I-I don't quite understand either..." Ui adds. "The ceremony was already suspicious. Why would they change the schedule so suddenly? And I still haven't finished the restoration..."

Despite saying this, Ui is still working. Despite the grave news, she still hasn't stopped.

"M-Maybe they forgot to tell me because they don't want me there anymore. I didn't even get a personalized message..." The blacknette says, sadly. "All of the participants must be there by now. Preparations would have to be completed at least an hour before the ceremony. That also means the venue will be closed off once atendees arrive, and security around the cathedral will be tightened."

"Security?" I ask.

"The Justice Task Force, most likely." The librarian guesses.

"Even if the restoration were done right this second, it would still take us some time to travel to the cathedral..." Hinata continues. "We would be too late. Sakurako would have the box in her possession by now. Not to mention that I heard the Justice Task Force would be in charge of security. Their forces are still carrying out military demonstrations, so they're not at full strength. But still... It would be impossible for someone like me to sneak past them and swap the book out without anyone noticing. Meaning that in one hour, in front of everyone, Sakurako will..."

"Read the kamasutra you swapped this book out for." I finish.

"Why the kamasutra?" Ui asks, confused.

"It was the closest book, apparently." I shrug.

"Why would a sister have a kamasutra on hand?" Ui mutters to herself.

Hinata's eyes water as she begins to sniffle. "I'm sorry, Sakurako. It's all my fault... All I want is for everything to go right, but it just keeps getting worse. Maybe I'm getting what I deserve. They say you reap what you sow..."

"Hinata..." Ui mutters.

"The fuck does that mean?" I growl out. "You've been helping people all day! You think THIS is what you deserve for your good deeds? Fuck that." Hinata looks at me curiously, as does Ui. "Fuck that, I ain't givin' up, and neither should you."

"Sensei, it's fine." The sister says, drying her tears. "You both did everything you could, but I have to go there and prevent a worst-case scenario. They won't be expecting me, so maybe I can sneak inside and tell Sakurako the truth of what happened. I'm really grateful for how much you helped me today, Sensei, Ui. I know this isn't the outcome we wanted, but it made me really happy to work alongside you two. I'm sorry we forced such an unreasonable task on you, Ui, but I truly did enjoy getting to know you and work with you. So, again, thank you very much." She finishes with a polite bow. "You both went through so much to restore that book. Actually... Thank you for giving it the care and attention it deserved."

"Huh...?" Ui questions.

"If you're willing, I'd like you to finish the restoration." Hinata says, smiling sadly. "It may not make it to the event in time, but I think it's what a precious book like this deserves."

Ui remains silent, listening to the sister. "Hold on a moment, Hinata. Are you seriously suggesting...?"

"I have to be going now." Hinata says, ignoring the bluenette's question. "So... goodbye." She says, tearing up as she turns to leave.