Chapter 17 - Abydos Arc: Epilogue

...

We step up to the bunker, all of us tired, our breathing haggard. It's small, made entirely of concrete and completely square.

"Hoshino should be on the other side!" Ayane announces.

"But how do we get in?" Serika asks.

"A though occurs." I say simply. Reaching into my pocket, I pull out one of Haruka's bombs I confiscated the other day.

Rigging it to the wall, Ayane tells us. "We're going to land there soon."

"Wait... land?" I ask.

"We, uh... confiscated a helicopter from Kaiser during the commotion." Ayane reluctantly admits.

"Okay..." I trail off, surprised. "Land a bit away, I'm gonna blow up the wall."

We all stand back, and after a few seconds, the wall is reduced to rubble. Ayane's helicopter lands behind us, and she hops out, bounding over to us.

We walk to the building.

"Hoshino!" The girls yell, as we see her. The pink haired girl, on her knees, is tied up with long, red wires, connected to the walls.

"The fuck were they doing...?" I ask myself. Ignoring my curiosity, I shoot each of the wires and pull them off of her.

Laying her on the ground, she slowly opens her heterochromatic eyes. As her vision comes back, they open wide in shock.

"Huh? But... how?" She asks. "I thought I was..."

"You okay, Hoshino?" I ask, calmly. Her face erupts into a blush, once she noticed our closeness.

"...Oh." She says, a smile appearing on her face. "Now I get it. This must be Sensei's doing." She tries to get up, but stumbles. I quickly catch her small body and help her up. Leaning on me, she chuckles. "The adult came though, after all, huh?"

"Of course." I say, chuckling.

"Welcome back, Hoshino." Serika says.

"Hey! Serika beat me to it!" Nonomi pouts.

I smirk. "Thought you weren't gonna say it?"

"Sh-Shut up!" The cat girl yells, blushing.

"We're glad you're okay." The wolf girl says with a small smile.

"Yes! Welcome back!" The elf girl says, smiling.

"That's right! Welcome back!" The blonde follows up.

"Welcome back, Hoshino." Shiroko says.

Hoshino's eyes widen, before she closes them while shaking her head and chuckling. "...What? Why are all of you looking at me like that?" She asks, noticing our stares. "Oh, now I get it. You want me to say the line, don't you?"
All of us look at the small girl expectantly, as she pushes off me, standing on her own feet.

"Sh-Shut up! Don't keep us in suspense!" Serika snaps.

Hoshino just giggles in response. "I can't refuse a favor from my adorable underclassmen."

The short girl looks at all of them with a big smile on her face and says...

"I'm home."

—————

A few days later, I walked to Abydos to check on things, having done nothing but sit and do paperwork for the past few days.

"Good morning, Sensei!" Ayane greets me as I enter the Foreclosure Task Force room.

"Mornin', Ayane." I greet back.

"Today's a big day for the Foreclosure Task Force." She says. "Thanks to your help, we're finally going to be approved as an official Abydos High School club."