Chapter 40 - Mysterious Girl, AR-1S

...

And so, the Saiba twins and I made our way to the outskirts of Millennium, a remnant of a time long past. Buildings, some once reaching nearly twenty stories, now remain mostly intact, covered in moss and vegetation. Once pristine, white buildings now lay where they stand, stained grey by time. Telephone poles stand tilted, their wires still connected mostly, but some lay broken on the ground, inert and devoid of a electric current.

"Well... This place is inviting." I say.

"Shh! Get down, Sensei!" Momoi says hushed, as she ducks behind some rubble. Shrugging, Midori and I do as she asks.

"Okay, so why are we hiding?" I ask, in a quiet voice.

"That's why." Momoi says, pointing ahead of us.

Where she points, there is a humanoid automaton. It somewhat resembles the ones Kaiser PMC used, but they are a dark, metallic grey and carry equally grey assault rifles. It stands, looking around, staying alert for intruders. It lets out a horrid screech as it looks around.

Another robot comes around the corner and makes a sound in response. The first responds, then they split up and leave our field of view.

"Are they gone?" Momoi asks.

"Yeah." I say to the twins.

"Good. Let's go." She says.

"This isn't good at all!" Midori shouts. "What is this place? It's crawling with weird robots!"

"Yeah, the hell were those?" I ask, serious.

"What do you mean? I told you before we came here." Momoi says. "These are the ruins."

Midori and I deadpan at her.

"But I get what you mean. I knew this place was supposedly dangerous, still..." The pink eyed twin says.

"Why are there robots patrolling this place?" I ask.

"I don't know much other than what I heard from Veritas." Momoi explains. "I already told you that access to this place is heavily restricted, right?"

"You mentioned that, yes." I say.

"Well, the one who restricted access to this place and tried to hide its very existence was no other than the president of the General Student Council." Momoi says, eliciting shock in her sister and I. Especially in me.

"You mean the one who suddenly disappeared?" Midori asks.

"The one and the same. She also had troops stationed here, but they withdrew after she went missing." The pink eyed twin explains. "We wouldn't have gotten this far otherwise. My point is this! Since the General Student Council has given up on trying to hide or watch this place, Veritas was able to slip us in. Remember, Himari told me this place holds all kinds is secrets of Kivotos' past. All we have to do is follow the coordinates Veritas gave us and we'll finally have it!"

In the corner of my eyes, I see a robot poke its head out and 'look' right at us before letting out a loud, metallic screech.

"Ah! Uh... Uh-oh." Momoi says, jumping back.

"Robots?!" Midori shouts

"Fuck." I say, leaping forward. The robot tries to draw its weapon, but I'm too quick. Already in front of it, I punch the robot in the face, causing it to sway to the side as I punch it in the back of the head with more than half force, impaling my fist into its head. I pull my hand out as it falls to the ground with a thud, it's heavy weight causing a dent in the old, cracked pavement.

Four more pop out of nowhere, rifles trained on me. "Midori, Momoi! Get down and cover me!" I hear the two scramble to cover as I pull my AR from my back.